Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

Roof ac quit on 2007-dodge-sprinter, seems electrical, no

Customer Question

Roof ac quit on 2007-dodge-sprinter, seems electrical, no blower inside can not detect any noise from the roof (condenser fans). Dash unit works fine. No loose connections in exposed wiring. Cannot find any blown fuses but do not know which ones go to roof ac.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

Inspect at the battery or near the battery for an after market in line power wire running to the ac unit and see if it has a fuse or fusible link in line that may be blown.I have seen some of these that are installed that have this after market power feed with an inline fuse that may be shorted out needing replaced.If this is or has already been checked and found to be o.k. let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mine was a factory unit. I dont have a good wiring diagram but all the large amp look ok. Could be a relay?. I have delt with dash ac, blower moter was freezing up. Noted on it that control voltage to speed control was 2 to 5 v. Resister was hot. On roof ac i found control voltage but resister was cold. Blower motor turned freely. My guess is blown fuse or bad relay. Can you send ne a 2007 wiring diagram and tell me were the pertinate fuses or relays are. Dash controls seem to work and like i said control voltage is going to unit. Looks like loss of power. Also condenser fans dont seem to be running but its hard to tell 9.5 ft up. Dont want to break roof seal.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dont think low freon would be triggering low preasure switch would disable blowers, dont think i have but one compresser. Diverter valve built to cut out top unit?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately with my info being limited on this model here I will have to see if anyone else can assist more on this here.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 28+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

I may be able to help with the diagrams for you. Can you post the last 9 digits of the VIN? If I have a VIN number, I can gather the correct diagrams for your vehicle...

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your . What i told pete covers most of it. Vin is###-##-#### ***** there must be a relay that supplies power to unit out. I have found control voltage at the wiring just outside the evaporator . On hi it reads 5.1v which corrospondes with hi fan setting. The dash unit was hot to blower, controled by ground at fan speed control. Could be the same on roof unit. Have yet to find 12v hot wire in tight quarters. Can barely put my hand on blower controler. It seems same make as one under dash. This controler was hot to touch at heat sink on dash model when on so i think i got no power other than control voltage for fan speed for roof unit as blower control is cold to touch. The reason i know this is i had to work on dash ac for frooze up blower last year. Hardware seems similar. Roof blower turns free by hand.
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the VIN. I will now gather as much info as possible for your roof unit..

I'll be be back with you as soon as I have the info all gathered for you..

Thanks for your patience and understanding while I research this for you...

Robert

Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

Let's start with the following document. It outlines the procedure to check the Rear Blower Motor Power Module (AKA Blower Motor Resistor). This is a likely cause for the blower to be inop. Keep in mind that a faulty blower motor can also CAUSE failure of the Power Module. I recommend to replace both if you find that the power module has failed. A blower motor with excessive current draw WILL cause the new power module to fail if not replaced also.

Click Here to View Document.

Also, I need to verify that this is the same as your system so that I can gather additional info if necessary.

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Looks like my system. Know where the power module is. Mine is always cold as i noted. Is there a relay that powers the system? Top condenser fan is not running! Does both front & top unit run off one compresser?
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

If the condenser fans are not running, I suspect a low charge with the rear a/c. These systems are totally "Standalone" meaning there IS a separate a/c compressor for the rear air. The front a/c compressor is mounted on the driver side of the engine below the oil filter assembly. The rear a/c compressor is mounted to the passenger side of the engine oil pan. I recommend to check the charge of the rear system before you go any further. Post back the results of the check and we can go from there....

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert