Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

I have a 2007 cummins 6,7 in a dodge 3500 all of a sudden I

Customer Question

I have a 2007 cummins 6,7 in a dodge 3500 all of a sudden I am getting exhaust smell in the cabin at idol it has never done this before after 150000 miles it just began. I had new ear replaced last year. no warnings or change in engine performance. Any ideas
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. There are many places for an exhaust leak/smell to happen, but the most common place is the shaft on the EGR bypass valve, or the clamp on the exhaust pipe where it attaches to the turbocharger. Look at all exhaust system areas where pipes, clamps, etc. are. Look for signs of black soot which will indicate a leak. Check that EGR crossover pipe in the front. The clamps can get loose and cause a leak. In the meantime, use the Recirc mode on the HVAC to reduce the smell until you get the leak fixed.

I hope this information helps, and if so please take a minute to rate my service today.

Thank you.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Hello, just checking back to see if you received my last reply. Let me know if you need further assistance with your problem.Chris
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hello, just checking back to see if you received my last reply.

If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating or accepting my answer so I may be credited. Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for my work. Please rate or accept in a positive way. You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept.

Thank you!

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Any luck locating the source of the smell?

Chris