Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

Please help ... I was almost killed today on the expressway.

Customer Question
I have a 2007 Dodge...
Please help ... I was almost killed today on the expressway. I have a 2007 Dodge Charger SXT 3.5 engine. Have a brand new battery, had new trans (mercedes trans) had sensors done and catylistic converter blown out. My alarm is on key which is 9 years old, only chirps to lock and unlock panic button has not worked in many years. This past month now 3 times had to get a jump to start it. In the morning when I get in the car it is still chiming as if something was left on or as if the key was still left in the ignition. Then a slight jump gets it started and im fine. Well today same thing however after getting the jump and driving a mile before getting on expressway noticed acceleration was not great. Got on the expressway and took some effort to get up to 55mph. Traffic slowed down then opened up I could not get it past 40 mph and was almost hit by 2 semi-trucks that tried to slow down finally was able to get off. On the streets only could do 30mph. Stopped at a parking lot. Shut the car off. Then started and was able to accelerate no problem. Did maybe the car need to reset after this jump? Or is this Factory alarm causing this?..Been thru so much expenses with this car. Will not go back to dealer where can i go to havefactory alarm checked or any advice would be so appreciated.THank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dodge
3/29/2016
Dodge Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), Technician replied 1 year ago
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central. Please make sure to let me know exactly what is needed from me so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service.

If when you tried to start it, it cranked then stopped, this briefly stopped voltage to the rest of the car causing the computer to likely reset which could of been to blame. Do you happen to know which codes are stored? The theft system can not effect a vehicle that is already running.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On your screen you should see a rating 1-5 stars. Please make sure to select one. I am not compensated by the website unless a customer rates. Rating only pays me from the deposit you have already made, it does not charge you more, nor close the post. Also all follow ups are free and welcome.

Thanks Chris

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It is making the "chime sound" like as if I left the key in overnight? which then drains the battery not enough juice to start..However the radio and lights all work. ..

Thanks for the update. Lets do some electrical testing on the ignition switch key in circuit while chiming with no key in the ignition and the headlights off. Do you have a test light or volt meter?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will try after work tonight. .I work till 8pm

Using the link below. We need to test between the 2 violet wires and get the OHM reading key in and key out with the chime working right and with the chime not working right.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/violet.pdf

Hello again Chris here,

1) When customers come to Just Answer the website and the experts want them to have a great 5 star experience.

2) We also want them to be so pleased that they come back for future needs.

3) I have the feeling you were not pleased with my help and or need me to help more. If so please do reply.

4) I have an option to upload diagrams, repair guides, find a repair facility, or call you if that would help.

Thanks Chris

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Still not resolved but check engine light came on while Driving to work so maybe it will read a code..thanks

Great, let me know that code when you do.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I appreciate your patience. .I am good with old cars ..honestly I fixed many ..but truly the newer ones are more complex. .So funny Auto zone got a free reading of code P0420 which is usually a Catalytic sytem..I had this done after doing the trans which was somehow a Mercedes trans in mine and I choose the universal took 2 times and then all good but only 6 months ago. They told me the Perfect fit one would be $900 ..but after I just spend over $2k on trans they offered me a Universal fit on catalyst converter. .for $400..it's only been 6 months. .This is so why I'm kicking myself for not finishing mechanic school. .I'm a Single Military Mom and I'm not asking for any break just give me some advice to know when they truly do the perfect fit catalyst vs universal..This maybe why I lost acceleration that day..Thank you..GOD Bless

You wrote prior you had the converter blown out. Was a new converter installed or was yours gutted?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I never wrote a new converter was installed must have me mixed up with someone else. I was stupid to think I could get some help on a website ..and yet still have to pay for it.. I am a good person and have changed oil and tires but yes I do not know much about the newer cars..but was hoping there were still honest people out there not trying to make this into this.. is this what is done so that you I call to pay more money? ..May God bless you ..I don't have it and if I did I would not spend it on a car..
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Converters not blown gave you the code as you asked it read as P0420 which is usually a Catalytic converter problem ..If you read my email I was hoping for your advice.. I paid for the universal catalyst converter 6 months ago verses the perfect fit. It was $ 400 verses $1,000..but understand I just gave them $2k for trans which I believe all along was catalyst and sensors..misdiagnosed. ..

I get the feeling your not pleased with my efforts to help you. I see no reason for us to continue. I will opt out, maybe another is willing to help.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your efforts. Appreciate.
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician