Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

03 dodge neon 2.0l Did an engine swap and got everything

Customer Question
03 dodge neon 2.0l Did an...
03 dodge neon 2.0l
Did an engine swap and got everything running but the instrument panel has no lights nor do the headlights on high or low beam work
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dodge
3/26/2016
Dodge Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 1 year ago
Dan, Technician

Hello again. Check the 15 amp fuse in location 15 and the 25 amp fuse in location 16 on interior fuse box. Let me know if fuse is blown, thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
All the fuses on the interior box are good and all the fuses under the hood are good also

Verify those fuses have voltage, if so check to see if 15 amp fuse in location 8 has voltage with hi beams on. Let me know, thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I rechecked all of those fuses and tested them with a test light and no power... key switch is on with the headlights turned to the on position

Fuse 15 and 16 d on't have power either?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No... so I'm thinking that theven internal fusee box isn't getting power but I'm not sure... I'm stumped that's why I came back here lol. Before I swapped the engine out everything worked properly

This under hood fuse box has a large wire that connects to it which gets voltage directly from battery. It sounds like this wire has a poor connection somewhere. Check to see if large wire going to fuse box has voltage, if not follow it to battery and let me know. Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If your talking about the red wire/the positive yes it goes to the fuserver box under the hood and it has power to both of the terminals

If you are sure power wire is good and connection is good that would mean interior fusebox is burnt out. Let me know how it goes, thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When I touch the terminals on the top with the test light it shows power.. I took the nuts off that hold the wire down to make sure there wasn't aNY corrosion and it looked good n clean.. is it a possibility that when I tried to start the engine with a bad battery and jumpers on it and the battery didn't have enough juice and the gauges didn't work right cuz the battery was so low or dead that I had fried the internal fuse box?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The dome light inside the car works and when I pull the fuse out In the interior fuse box the light goes out. So I must have some type of power making it to the fuse box

Check 40 amp fuse in location 3 under hood, this is where fuse 15 and 16 on interior fuse box get power. Let me know, thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That 40 amp fuse was missing for some reason not sure why or how my lights worked before?but I guess my other question is why speedometer isn't working

Good to hear one issue is taken care of. Is your check engine light on when driving? Automatic or manual transmission?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Manual 5 speed... it worked before the swap. I have the car on jack stands and we started it up and let it run then put it into 1st gear tires moved and everything but speed stayed at zero... don't know if this is because of the internal fuse box not getting power.
Check engine light code p0032 shows up

Check wiring between vehicle speed sensor and PCM, I'd imagine there is a broken wire or poor connection. Here is a wire diagram to help with testing.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fnmw7dayz7nxsrt/vss.pdf?dl=0

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The plug connection is on the back topside of the transmission?... are u able to test the inside of the plug for power ?

Ya, you should be able to verify it has good 5v and ground. It should be the only 3 wire connector on transmission. Located on rear of engine, on drivers side where transmission connects.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Alright... I'm going to pick up a new 40 amp fuse tomorrow and hope that takes care of it... appreciate it thanks 4 ur time

No problem, you can reply to this answer at any time without additional fees if you run into more questions. Let me know how it goes, thanks again and have a good night!

Dan, Technician