b5demon
b5demon, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE and Chrysler master technician for over 17 years Sprinter and Viper specialist
13235514

Low fuel rail pressure no start, 2006 dodge sprinter 3500.

Customer Question

low fuel rail pressure no start
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: 2006 dodge sprinter 3500. Wont start. Says low fuel rail pressure. 224psi. Codes showing up are P0380 P0087
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dodge Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  b5demon replied 1 year ago.

Hi Welcome to Just Answer! Have you replaced anything yet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We replaced one injector seal because it was leaking.
Expert:  b5demon replied 1 year ago.

ok low rail pressure is caused by either a leak in the high pressure side, a bad lift or injection pump or a blocked fuel filter

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have good pressure going into the injector pump but low pressure coming out the high side of pump when attempting to start. Injector pump was replaced two years ago. It appears as if tge injector pump is not pressurizing at all.
Expert:  b5demon replied 1 year ago.

ok sounds like you have a bad injection pump from what you are describing.

Expert:  b5demon replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately not much you can do besides replace the injection pump again

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, but doesnt the injection pump have an electrical wire that calls for pressure/activation that may not be calling?
Expert:  b5demon replied 1 year ago.

The electrical wire going to it is the fuel temp sensor and the fuel return to the tank for when the rail pressure is too high

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you sure that there's nothing else they can cause low pressure on the fuel injector pump outlet besides needing to replace it? $1600 vest but will be a huge mistake Ifit doesnt solve the problem. It started just fine before replacing the injector seal.
Expert:  b5demon replied 1 year ago.

If you have good pressure into the injection pump but not out the only thing it can be is the pump. The only thing replaceable on the injection pump is the fuel temp sensor The solenoid comes with the pump. The only other thing it could be is a leak after the pump at the rail, one of the delivery tubes or injectors.

Expert:  b5demon replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you need any more help with this or any help in the future. If you liked the service please rate the answer. If you are not satisfied let me know and i will continue to try to help you or find you another expert that can assist you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ordered pump. Ill let you know the outcome
Expert:  b5demon replied 1 year ago.

Ok thanks for the response.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok,
replaced the fuel injection pump. Still no pressure while trying to start. I'm out $1000 dollars. what is next?
Expert:  b5demon replied 1 year ago.
Then you either still have a leak on the high pressure side that is not allowing the pressure to build, have a bad rail pressure sensor or do not have enough fuel getting to the high pressure pump from the low pressure pump
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sure its a sensor. The solenoid on the high pressure injector pump is not calling to open up. What causes that?
Expert:  b5demon replied 1 year ago.
The Cdi adjusts that based on fuel rail pressure
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, How do I properly diagnose what is wrong so I don't continue to throw money at this thing. Is there a way to test that sensor?
Expert:  b5demon replied 1 year ago.
Which sensor? The rail pressure sensor?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not getting sufficient pressure coming from the high pressure injector pump. If you stated that that could be caused by the rail pressure sensor i need to rule it out. How do I test it?
Expert:  b5demon replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a scan tool that can read the sensors on the engine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i do i told you the codes when we started.
Expert:  b5demon replied 1 year ago.
Ok not all scan tools can get the sensor readings see if the rail pressure increases when cranking it should be near zero with the key on and then go up when cranking
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I'll try
Expert:  b5demon replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
p0380, 0500, 0087, 0204, U0423, 0193, 0090
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The above are the codes coming up now. Can you please recommend a diagnosis procedure and or a fix?
Expert:  b5demon replied 1 year ago.

try clearing them and see which ones come back some of those may be from have stuff unplugged

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi did they all came back up again
Expert:  b5demon replied 1 year ago.

ok you are getting a fuel fuel related codes but now you also have the one injector code and a glow plug code. That engine is know for wiring harness issue check the engine wiring harness behind the fuel filter where it loops down from the battery and back up to the engine we have seen a lot of broken wire in that area