Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

2003 ram 4.7l. Truck ran fine till I hauled a trailer up ll.

Customer Question
2003 ram 4.7l. Truck ran...
2003 ram 4.7l. Truck ran fine till I hauled a trailer up hill. The Dummy light was flashing had no guts in the truck. Truck does have 170k on it. So I get my load dropped off I check the codes with the key it only showed p0068. Figuring it was an old part I replaced the map Sen and throttle position Sen. Since it was cheap. Idles better but when I get on the gas it jerks like I let off the clutch to soon . So I looked had a few hoses cracked that go to the intake replaced it problem get better but still doesn't feel like it did a few days ago. So I replaced map throttle and air charge sens and replaced cracked vacuum hoses. Seems to happen around 3k rpm. I took it to the parts store got the codes read ... Said only p0068 but had pending code for cylinder 3 misfire / random misfire . This truck has coil on plug setup... Scratching my had ..... There's always full coverage :)
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dodge
3/24/2016
Dodge Mechanic: Randall C, ASE Master Technician replied 1 year ago
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Technician

Hello, sorry for the delay, When the light flashes, this ONLY means the computer detected a misfire, Many times the duration of the miss is not long enough for the computer to calcualte which cylinder is missing , Well, you have a pending code for cylinder 3, so, I really have to work off that code, When no code is stored, it is harder to determine which cylinder is misfiring, yo may have got a bit lucky that the pending code is in fact set so,, 99.9% of the time on this engine? the cause of the miss, bucking, lack of power, skipping or whatever other symptom you have is going to be a bad coil, Very common problem, I am really sure you will have to change #3 coil and will correct the prolem, I have included a link showing repair info. # ***** cylinder is 2nd plug back from front of engine on the drivers side

Randall C
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Technician