sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

2006 dodge caravan....transmission indicator lights are all

Customer Question

2006 dodge caravan....transmission indicator lights are all lit. Vehicle drives and shifts fine. When brakes are applied, while in drive, all PRND12 lights come on, when apprx 30mph is reached only D is lit. Step on brakes PRND12 all illuminate again.
JA: It's good that it's giving you information about the problem. The Dodge Mechanic will know what to do. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes, if possible
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Checked charging system, okay under laod. Tested battery...needs replacing. Also checked transmission for damage. Getting trouble code u0101, lost communication with TCM.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Dodge Mechanic should know about your Dodge?
Customer: Wondering if this is possible the TRS, or more likely the solenoid pack on front of transmission.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the PRNDL boxes all light together it's because the trans controller isn't communicating with the instrument cluster. The fact that you found a U0101 set in a module confirms that TCM communication wasn't happening at some point.

If the trans shifts then the TCM is at least awake. If it was down then the trans wouldn't shift and the speedometer wouldn't work.

Does the speedometer work when this happens?

What module did you find the U0101 in?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the speedometer works, read the code in the odometer window, after using the ignition sequence.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I tell what module the code is in? I do not have a 'code reader"

If you read codes with the key cycle method and found this then it was stored in the PCM. If the PCM is setting this code then the problem is internal in the PCM (which houses both the PCM and TCM).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay...so do I need a pcm then? I checked it out....very corroded on the outside. Connections and wires seem okay. None broke. Or is there another possibly cheaper solution.

There is no other possible cause for U0101 setting while the TCM is awake. This sets when the PCM isn't communicating with the TCM, which can only be internal PCM failure or a loss of power or ground to the TCM side. If the speedometer worked and trans shifted then the TCM was awake but not communicating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
essentially...I need a pcm..because the loss of power is internal, yes?

It isn't a loss of power because the trans is shifting and speedometer works. It's a loss of communication from the TCM. The PCM needs to be replaced.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How much does that usually cost? Rough estimate...not gonna hold it as a quote or anything. Ballpark?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is this something I can do myself, or must it be programmed etc?

It's not something you can replace yourself without a dealer level scan tool to program it.

A Mopar reman PCM retails for $644 plus it would be about one hour of labor to install and program it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One last question....I have had issues with lights...when turn signal swith is activated, running light on same side will go out. Does not happen when headlights are on. Does this go through pcm as well? Are these indicative of a bad pcm?

A lighting issue wouldn't be related. The PCM is the powertrain control module, it controls engine and transmission functions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just wondering if I have an elecrrical issue in the steering column/dash board and not nessesarily a pcm issue? Would this be reasonable, or is idicator PRND21 issue in no way related?

The shifter display boxes are lighting up because the TCM is not communicating. The PCM needs to be replaced.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much...you have a great day. You have been more than helpful.

You're welcome and good luck with the van!