rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

I have a 99 Dodge with a 5.2 liter V8 four wheel drive. My

Customer Question

I have a 99 Dodge with a 5.2 liter V8 four wheel drive. My truck while in drive acts like it is missing and I'm having trouble finding the issue also while in park or neutral the idol is kind of erratic could this be part of a timing issue or something simpler what are your thoughts? I was also thinking that might be because of carbon buildup but I have no idea
Category: Dodge
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident
we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill
level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to
get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.

The plugs and wires was a good start, but you may have more vacuum leaks or low compression. Test with a gauge due to possible jumped time.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If my compression is low how would I go about fixing it?
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

It can need a valve job or rings, or both. It may need an overhaul. Run the tests first and let's see.

Thanks again, and please don't forget to rate me and keep this link in case you need me again later on. Ron