Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

My name is ***** *****. I have a 2006 dodge charger rt - I

Customer Question
Hi my name is *****...
Hi my name is ***** *****. I have a 2006 dodge charger rt - I have something going on and need help pleaseeeee. while the car is in motion all of a sudden the motor will stall for a split second then resume
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: it is showing a PCM transmission losing communication. while the car is in motion all of a sudden the motor will stall for a split second then resume. doesn't do it all the time. We have replaced the computer (transmission control module) it has also started to die when you slow down or stop at a light. It will ALWAYS start immediately each and every time.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dodge Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dodge
3/18/2016
Dodge Mechanic: sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech replied 1 year ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the PCM is losing response while driving it could be failing internally or it may be losing a power or ground feed. You could have a wiring issue or internal failure in the power distribution center or integrated power module causing a loss of power.

Spark plugs have actually been known to cause the PCM to reset on these due to electrostatic discharge/interference. Do you know how long ago the spark plugs were replaced last and opposed to when the dying problem started?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Could you send me the wiring schematic for my 2006 Dodge Charger ?

I can answer any specific questions about wiring colors, etc, but I'm unable to post material directly from the service information due to copyright.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's probably been about 30,000 miles since the spark plugs have been changed.
We have already replaced the ecm and transmission Control module
The first time it started this we had a bad ground wire from the body of the car in the trunk that feeds directly to the battery negative.

The PCM was replaced in an attempt to repair this problem?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it was showing communication loss on the computer

Do you remember what the code numbers were and in what module they were found?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
P007
Lost communication transmission controller to pcm

The code would be four digits; there are only three that start with P007 and none related to a communication issue.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Good morning, sorry for the delay my husband had to work yesterday and it was late. So the code it has thrown is u1000 and either a po75 or po720 he is not 100% sure which of the last two it was.

Are you able to find out for sure?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Right now my husband can not place it back on the computer he has it torn down in the garage.
Let me start from the beginning, I want to make sure I have not left anything out. First time something happened I lost the ground cable to the battery in the trunk this was the first time it ever acted up. We replaced the ground cable from the body of the car to the battery ground. It ran perfect for 2 weeks. Then, while I was driving approximately 60-80mph the engine stalled for a split second - it did NOT die. The RPM's dropped straight to zero, no throttle - it really is just for a split second, then drives normal as nothing happened. In addition to the stalling it started to die when sitting still, it will start each and every time without hesitation. We then hooked it up on a scan tool and it showed it lost communication from the PCM to the transmission control module. At that point, we replaced the engine control computer after we replaced it, it still done the same thing. Then we took it to a mechanic they troubleshot the wiring harness under the hood area back to the transmission control module. The mechanic thought it had a bad transmission control module. We then replaced the transmission control module. The problem was still there, in addition to the issues it was already having it started to have hesitation when shifting. My husband has it in the garage as we speak replacing the CAM sensor, replacing the spark plugs (per your suggestion) and crank sensor. My husband is very mechanically incline and works on vehicles often. He has maintenance my car from the day we bought it (at that time 35,000 miles, now 102,000 miles) so we know what we have you know. However, this is the first time we have ever had any issues with my car. He is struggling and we are getting so frustrated; there is nothing like having car issues!! LOL - I am trying to keep a good attitude. He wants to check the harness under the hood from the power distribution center back to the transmission module. He is looking for a bad ground or a bad wire. Is there any place that he can see or get a copy of the wiring diagram to help him track the wiring (pin out diagram)? We have had it to 2 different Chrysler dealerships and they keep telling us there is nothing they can do. They did say it is logging the codes but they can not diagnosis it because it instantly resets it's self. The dealer mechanic said it was storing the code but it was not logging the code??? According to this mechanic he said that they could not diagnosis the issue unless it logged the code????
We know for sure that it showed the u1000 code the first time we hooked it up to the computer. He just called the dealer mechanic and he said that they did not write the code down; ERRRR. Someone mentioned that we should check the fuel rail? Thoughts on that? I know I have given you a lot of information I am struggling with one vehicle and 2 kids my husband and I both work full time any help I would be forever thankful!!My husband is going to try and get the scan tool again today and hook it back up. Once we do that again I will update you. I wanted to share everything we have done up to this point.

Let's see if the spark plugs change anything and go from there.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
he has replaced the spark plugs and crank sensor it had thrown a code of u0100 lost comm with ecm/pcm. And p0700 trans control system malfunction

The code was cleared after the work was done?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
he cleared it then started it back it quit twice he checked for code again and it did not log a code after it quit running

The best thing to do at this point would be to monitor the PCM powers and grounds when the problem happens. The PCM is going down and that's why the engine is dying and code is setting. This could be an internal issue or a loss of power or ground and the first step will be determining if a power or ground is being lost. A loss of power or ground could be a wiring issue, the power distribution center or integrated power module, or possibly the ignition switch.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok my husband is going to call it quits for the night he has to work the next 4 day straight. Tuesday is his next day off. As soon as he starts again on it I will keep you posted

Great!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We replaced the ignition switch the same issues are there Can you give me information of where my husband can check for power losses and grounds? We can't get a schematic to look at. Do you know where we can get a schematic?

The best way to obtain complete wiring information would be a single vehicle subscription to alldatadiy.com.

Testing will need to be done at the PCM connectors by backprobing with something such as a T pin.

The PCM power feeds are in connector 1. The pink wire in pin 12 and pink/gray in pin 11, and the red wire in pin 29 should all have power. The black/brown in pins 9 and 18 should have ground.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok he will check it and get back to you

Great!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Good afternoon
So my husband is back working on my car. The plug that plugs into the transmission from the wiring harness is wet it does not smell like transmission fluid It looks to be a sealed plug and I wouldn't think it should be wet. There is no smell. He is cleaning the plug and terminals because it is wet. Do you think this may be causing it to drop out?

A leak from the connector area is caused by the O rings on the connector bushing, the plastic piece that goes into the transmission case behind the connector. The bushing will need to be replaced which comes with revised O rings. This won't be related to the driveability issues.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The last code was
P0700

P0700 sets in the engine controller when there is a code stored in the transmission control module and is just informational. This just alerts you to read codes from the TCM.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My car has doesn't have a pink wire in PIN number 12
It does have a pink and gray wirw PIN number 11
PIN number 11 showed voltage 12.5 volts
Red wire PIN number 29 also showed power.
PIN number 9 and 18 showed ground
He went from pin 9 to 11 and 29 and it showed over 12 volts.
Went from pin 18 to 11 And 29 showed over 12 voltsWhen he checked it he had it unplugged from the pcm
He checked with a volt meter ohmns for the ground. Is there a certain way he needs to check it ? It ran for about 20 minutes it got up to operating temperature before it died.
We unplugged connector 1 and plugged it back in but we have not tried to start again
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry hit the wrong button. Not sure if you know anyone in our area that works on these issues.

A dealer would be the best place to have it diagnosed if you weren't able to do so yourself.

It doesn't stay in a non starting state does it?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We have had it to 2 different deals. They say they don't know.
As soon as it does it will instantly start back.

They need to have the car long enough to be able to get it to act up and test while it's happening.

While you're testing yourself you need to be backprobing into the connectors with something such as a T pin because the powers and grounds need to be monitored as it dies, testing with the connectors unplugged at a time the engine would run anyway won't gain you any usable results. A test light should be used rather than a voltmeter because it will load the circuit and a voltmeter may not respond fast enough.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We have pin 11 and 29 hooked into two separate test lights so we can monitor if it shuts off / lose power.I have 2 more tpins that I can stick in the ground wire but he's no for sure how to stick it in and test.
I have more test lights can he use those on the ground circuit ?

Yes, a test light needs to be used to test the grounds. Connect one end of the test light to battery positive and the other end to the T pin.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
After we put test lights on the grounds and positives the car died 3 times within ten minutes after running a little over an hour.
I had a test light on each wire separately on the hots and grounds I was physically watching the test lights no light lost power.

If the engine is dying at a loss of communication code with the PCM sets at that time, the PCM powers and grounds are always present when it happens, then the issue is in the PCM.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We have replaced the Pcm and a tcm

The test results point to a PCM issue if the information I have received is correct. Is the PCM actually losing response when the engine dies?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What exactly do you mean by loss. I've checked the positives and negatives.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Also I've noticed when it dies o can hear the fuel pump cycle on after a few seconds

The powers and grounds were tested because you believed the PCM was going down, losing communication and other modules were setting a code for lack of PCM communication. Does it set a U0100 every time this happens and the PCM loses communication during the event?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
that it the only code it is showing since he cleared the code early then died last
It is not showing the po700 code now
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He's going to clear the code again. If it does it again he is going to contact the manufacturer first thing in the morning

It's not possible for P0700 to set by itself. This sets because there are codes stored in the TCM that need to be read.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We have taken rh car to two Chrysler dealerships and they said they can't We what's going on. They told us to drive it till it won't run or catches on fire. Really this is what they told usWe are about at our wits end. At this point what do you suggest??
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Someone said that we needed to check the fuel rail do you think that could be the issue not holding pressure

You may be losing fuel pressure but it wouldn't die abruptly or set a code for loss of PCM communication. You can use a fuel pressure gauge to see if pressure drops before the engine dies.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What are your suggestions at this point.
is their someone local that we could look at the car. Where are you located

I'm in the midwest but the site wouldn't allow personal contact.

If it's not something you're able to diagnose yourself I would recommend leaving the car with a dealer or shop and allow them to test as necessary while the problem is happening to be able to diagnose it. If the problem is able to be duplicated then testing can be done, I have to wonder whether the dealers were able to duplicate the problem.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Good afternoon, wanted to get back with you we just got the computer back they verified that the computer was good with no defects
What would be your next suggestion?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
To answer your last response, no we had the car at 2 different dealers. Not the same one.

Did you send the PCM somewhere without the car? They wouldn't be able to tell anything about it's condition with an intermittent problem.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We sent the Pcm to the manufacturer and said it was "fine" but they sent us a new pcm.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He put the new one on this afternoon the car has now been running for 2 hours

Hopefully that will take care of it.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08