Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs
7276279

I am repairing the AutoStick feature on my 99 Grand Caravan

Customer Question

Hi I am repairing the AutoStick feature on my 99 Grand Caravan because I want to use the downshift on hills to help braking. the wires have been cut where they exit the stick in the column. How do I get the AutoStick switch off the end of the shift lever to run new wires inside?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: YES
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Tried turning the assembly at the end of the shift lever.
JA: Is there anything else the Dodge Mechanic should be aware of about your Dodge?
Customer: The trans has been changed so I dont know if its the factory original but I know I have no downshift ability.
JA: Our top Dodge Mechanic is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Dodge Mechanic in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Dodge Mechanic until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Chrysler dose not offer any steps to dissemble the shift lever as its replaced as an assembly. If the wiring is cut you are going to need to replace the lever assembly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, can I install a switch elsewhere that does the same thing? I am going to be travelling thru mountain areas and want to have some engine braking. Currently, if I shift into the Autostick range, I have none. The trans was changed on this car so I am not sure they put the same one in but I see the two wires that go to the wiring harness. What is the circuit inside the gear lever like ? There are two momentary switches... the one on the end of the stick that is O/D on-off and one that is the gear up/down Autostick on the side of the gear lever. How can these work if there are only two wires coming out the gear lever at the base? There must be some circuit in there to differentiate between the two switches. THANKS for any ideas.
Mark Oppat, plymouth , MI
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

The circuit to the switch is a normally open switch and when turned on it simply completes a path to ground so I suppose you could rewire it to a new switch. See the wiring diagram in the link below for the circuit to the switch.

Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Auto%20stick%20Mar%2020.pdf