Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2005 dodge ram 2500 diesel. Runs great; however, about every…

Customer Question
2005 dodge ram 2500...

2005 dodge ram 2500 diesel. Runs great; however, about every 3 or 4 weeks it will stop running for about 2 or 3 seconds then when start right back up and run great for another 3 or 4 weeks when it will happen again. After it happens the engine light will stay on for a 1/2 day or so. Then it goes off until the next event. Also the AC compressor will not come on for a few days. Then it will work great until the next event. I have seen it (3 times) do some sort of light dance on the AC controls and the heat will come on and the little heater button below the ac compressor button will flash a couple of times and then the ac compressor will stop working, The relay is good. The ac controls are new (as of yesterday) The clutch on the compressor will work when jumped at the relay base. There is no call for ac. I think the computer is holding it out due in conjunction with what ever is causing the occasional power loss. Trouble codes are P0251, P2607 and P0882

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I believe that is most of the detail. I am assuming this is an auto response?

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dodge
on the p2607ode, the relay coils re 21ohms. The heater elements read 1-2 ohms from the cable on the relays ground.
3/15/2016
Dodge Mechanic: sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech replied 2 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

None of these codes would be directly related to a dying issue. P0251 is for the fuel control actuator circuit, 2607 is an intake heater relay circuit issue, and P0882 is for the trans relay.

Does the trans go into limp in?

Has anything been disconnected with the key on or engine running?

I don't think so

Which question were you responding to?

Nothing disconnected and no limp mode. Of course my knowledge on this subject is limited; however, I am thinking I may know something pertinent. The electronic plugs (3) that are next to the injectors ( I am assuming these are the control actuator sensors?) have oil inside the connectors. Is it possible these can leak from the inside out, or in other words from where they enter the head, leak internally to contaminate the connector pins)? Would this cause a problem of this nature?
I pulled the connectors apart today and cleaned the pins on the connectors and the holes that the pins plug into.

If the P0882 was set on it's own then the trans would have been in limp in.

You're most likely referring to the three connectors for the injector harness, on the left side of the valve cover. If there was oil in those connectors then you'll need an injector wiring harness but that shouldn't be causing your issue unless there is oil all the way to the ECM. Have you checked for oil in the ECM connectors?

not yet but apparently I need to.

I haven't seen it happen on these trucks but in this case I think it would be a good idea to check.

I am not familiar with the indications of "limp in mode". Before this started I was having trouble with what seemed to be loss. It turned out I needed to change my fuel filter

P0882 is for the trans relay. If it truly wasn't functioning then the trans would be in limp in, third gear all the time.

no problem like that.
could the issues with the ac (please see previous description) and the occasional momentary "dying" and the false code that should put vehicle into limp mode be from a malfunctioning ECM? How long do ECM's last?

These ECM's very rarely fail.

The ECM controls the a/c compressor so it could prevent the compressor from engaging if there was an internal failure.

If the engine is completely turning off and restarting while driving I expect the ECM is going down either due to an internal failure or a loss of power or ground to it. It would take a scan tool to monitor data at the time the problem happened and if it was proven that it did go down then it's powers and grounds would need to be monitored to be sure one wasn't being lost.

this vehicle has 404,000 miles on it. The engine has been well cared for and runs and starts like it always has other than these recent events. I am thinking from what you are saying that it is not the pump but it is just as you have just described.
Since it is not going to be something I can monitor when it happens, since I cannot tell when it is going to happen, what do you suggest?
Should I start by replacing the "injector wiring harness".

Yes, you can try replacing the injector harness but if there is no oil in the ECM then that's not likely to be related, if there is oil in the ECM then it will need to be replaced along with the harness.

Thanks

You're welcome!