Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

I have a 2002 dodge ram 2500 diesel. I lost power steering

Customer Question
and brakes. First I changed...
I have a 2002 dodge ram 2500 diesel. I lost power steering and brakes. First I changed the power steering pump...No change. Changed the gearbox and vaccum pump. Jacked the truck up and turned the wheel lock to lock. The steering seems to get easier but the brakes stay hard.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dodge
3/13/2016
Dodge Mechanic: roy, import/domestic specialest replied 1 year ago
roy
roy, import/domestic specialest

good evening my name is ***** ***** I will assist

do you have a hydrovac unit behind the master cylinder or do you have a brake booster???

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I believe it's a hydrovac. Diesels don't use boosters.

if they have vacuum pumps, some do. I thought the same thing

anyway, if you replaced the pump and still have no assist the hydro vac unit has failed. most likely has debris that caused it to fail. when you replace it flush all the lines, steering box and the pump.

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The unit isn't leaking. If I replace it and the problem doesn't go away, what should I look at?

it does not have to leak to be bad. it has failed internally.

do you have pressure gauges to verify pressure to see if the newpower steering pump is working???

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No but I replaced the gearbox and had to add fluid afterwards while bleeding the air out of the system and it was pumping the fluid. I'm going to replace the hydrovac unit tomorrow. Hopefully that fixes it.

let me know

please dont forget to rate me as it is the only way I get paid for my efforts

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Will do Roy. Thanks

your welcome

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Roy. I changed the hydroboost pump and all of the hoses. A friend and I bled the brakes and bled the steering system. Truck is still the same. I'm thinking there must be an air bubble or two locked inside the system. I have to drive the truck 100 miles a day this whole week. Hopefully the system bleeds out the rest of the air during my commute. Do you have any suggestions?

bleeding is the same as a power steering pump. turn lock to lock to bleed the system.

Roy

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That's how we bled the system. Front end jacked up. Lock to lock 40 or more times. Still hard brakes and steering

ok, I am wondering if something got into the new pump and is not allowing it to build pressure

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Which pump. They are all new (rebuilds). System was flushed each time. Driving me crazy!

I understand but there are some places you cannot flush especially in the hydrovac unit

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Any suggestions?

try flushing it again and if it does not work, replace the pump.

the bad hydrovac most likely caused the original failure of the pump and also caused the failure of the second

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The power steering pump is moving fluid. I'm baffled

it may be moving fluid but it needs to push a lot of pressure. if you want to be sure, get a set of pressure gauges and check the pressure. you need about 800 lbs plus for it to work

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'll try that

ok

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I ordered pressure gauges.

ok

roy
roy
roy, import/domestic specialest