Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My 2010 dodge grand caravan doors lock on their own and the…

Customer Question
Hi there my 2010 dodge...
Hi there my 2010 dodge grand caravan doors lock on their own and the tailgate latch keeps kocking as I drive
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dodge
3/11/2016
Dodge Mechanic: sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech replied 2 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It sounds as if you may have a bad liftgate latch. There are microswitches in the latch that report the pawl position to the power liftgate module. If the module sees the pawl to the partially unlatched position, whether it's because of a failed switch or an actual physical issue with the liftgate, then it will cinch the latch again and could cause the locks to cycle.

Was it the latch connector you unplugged? Did the locks stop cycling with it unplugged?

it was the tail gate latch that I unplugged and all the other doors locked and would not open with the fob I used the key to get in , I then plugged the tail gate back in and then I could open the doors with the fob Its odd thou that all the doors open with the fob including the tailgate but it keeps clicking periodically as I drive

Do the locks cycle while the van is parked?

You were completely off the mark
It turned out that thees door and window switches are prone to water damage. it was the door switch column on the door not the door latch on the tail gate The door latch would have cost me $500 plus. The switching device cost $90 and just plugs in You were a total waste of money and I would have thought that you (the expert would have known this )

I can only work from the information provided in a post and you said that unplugging the liftgate latch affected the issue.

I was attempting to help diagnose the issue but I'm unable to help if communication stops.

The master switch on the door wouldn't affect key fob operation, nor would the master switch cause the operation of anything to change depending on whether the liftgate latch is plugged in or unplugged.