How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robert R Your Own Question
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Category: Dodge
Satisfied Customers: 4410
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
Type Your Dodge Question Here...
Robert R is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a 2011 ram 3500 with the 6.7 cummins and replaced the

Customer Question

i have a 2011 ram 3500 with the 6.7 cummins and replaced the turbo with a OEM turbo due to the exhaust brake malfunctioning and now i have no exhaust brake and code 2563
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Dodge. The Dodge Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: i dont know if a factory Holset VGT turbo needs to be calibrated and if so i have no idea where i can take it to be done. this is my first diesel engine and im totally lost (use to gasoline engines)
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: well if it requires special electronics i probably wont. i have been thinking about removing the plastic intake to make sure the electrical connections are good. i did replace the turbo myself and followed all the procedures that the manufacture recommended.
JA: Is there anything else the Dodge Mechanic should be aware of about your Dodge?
Customer: i have code 2002 i believe which is the DPF and eventually i am going to add the deletes and a tuner eventually
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $13 after the Dodge Mechanic responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 28+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Where was the turbo purchased? Is this a COMPLETE turbocharger assembly?

Were there any codes before the turbocharger was replaced? List all codes.

Keep me posted...

Thank you,


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The turbo was purchased online from turbopark. It is a brand new oem Holset VGT. It was complete with the acuator. The only code prior was the 2002. It all started because the exhaust brake would engage going down the highway on its own even with it turned off. Took it to the dealer twice and the first time no codes. The second time I took it back it had the 2002 and they wanted 4,400 to replace the DPF. I don't understand how a clogged DPF would cause the exhaust brake to engage causing total loss of power and black smoke of you try to accelerate
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

It's looking like the new turbo is likely faulty. P2563 is caused by either excess soot buildup or an internal turbo problem. Since it is a new turbo, it rules out excess soot buildup in the turbo. I recommend to run the diag procedure first, then replace the turbo if necessary.

If the P2002 is the ONLY code that was present when you took it to the dealer, this is the reason they tried to sell you a DPF. Since you get the black smoke, the DPF is cracked and needs replacement.

Here is some flowcharts for the two codes for you. It has the diagnostic info used to narrow down the cause.

P2002 Diagnostic info

P2563 Information

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,



Remember, RATING is REQUIRED to credit me for helping you! -- Please don't forget to Rate my service as OK Service or better. It's only then that I am credited... A "Poor" or "Bad Service" rating does not automatically result in a refund so if you would rather have a refund, please reply and let me know BEFORE rating and I will submit a refund request with Customer Service on your behalf...

Please remember that this site operates on the honor system... Making sure that your expert is paid for your answer is GREATLY appreciated and is what allows experts to continue working for you and others...

Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.


This is an automated response that was scheduled when I posted my answer. I just wanted to check in with you to see if you need more help with your concern. A non rated question normally times out within 7 days, so I wanted to stay in contact with you to see if the problem has been solved.

If I have helped you resolve your concern and you have already rated my response, I want to say "Thanks!", and let you know you can still follow up on this concern if needed. Also to let you know you can bookmark "" My Profile Page "" (Bookmark this link) in case you have another automotive question in the future. Make sure to begin your question with "Robert R" so I will be able to easily find it.

If we are still working on your concern, please post a reply so we can continue.

If you are happy with my answer and have not rated my response, please do so asap to complete the transaction. It is greatly appreciated as I recieve no compensation until you do so...

If your not satisfied with my answer, BEFORE rating, please post a reply with a short explanation as to why. I may have a better explanation for you... It also helps me to refine my answers to help future customers more thoroughly and efficiently.

My goal is to answer your question to your complete satisfaction, and would like to earn your business now and in the future.

Thank you and thanks for using JustAnswer!