Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

2012 dodge 3500 tranny. The fre68, Yes the truck runs fine

Customer Question

2012 dodge 3500 tranny. The fre68
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Yes the truck runs fine 1st through 4th then hits 5 for only a few seconds and once it does it goes back to fourth hits limp mode and stays in 4th until I shut it off and restart it and it's the same problem over and over its throwing incorrect gear ratio 5 and 6th gear also f solenoid
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dodge Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. Sounds like you have an overdrive solenoid that has failed. That is why it goes into limp in when it tries to energize that solenoid. The wiring between the ECM and transmission connector should be checked first. If it is ok, then suspect a failed solenoid in the solenoid pack and have the complete solenoid pack replaced. Note tgat this is covered under the powertrain warranty. If your truck is out of the powertrain warranty, then it would be a customer pay repair. Now if you are comfortable in removing the valve body and replacing the solenoid pack yourself, then let me know and I will be happy to send you the procedure.

Just let me know.

Chris