Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

I have an 07 dodge RAM 1500 with a 5.7 hemi. The truck just

Customer Question
I have an 07 dodge...
I have an 07 dodge RAM 1500 with a 5.7 hemi. The truck just passed 100000 and has never given me problems. My issue is that it just started turning off at random times. I can be doing 60 or 6 miles per hour and the engine just turns off, and sometimes will come right back on but sometimes I have to turn the key off and then fire it back up. All electronics stay on when this happens. The motor just turns off. So far I have replaces the throttle body, the crank sensor, the cam sensor and the fuel pump. This motor does not have an egr or would have replaced that by now as well. I'm guessing this is an ignition issue. Just don't know where to start
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dodge
3/8/2016
Dodge Mechanic: Jared D, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician

So when the truck acts up does it feel like the truck slows down and loads up or like the engine is stalling?

Is it worse when slowing down sometimes?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No there is no warning or sputtering at all. Engine just shuts off. Happens more when I hit a bump but sometimes it's out of no where

Ok. So if it seems more prominent on bumps that sounds like a wiring harness issue.

Have you had the PCM scanned for codes? That might tell us where the truck is losing communication.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The codes only happen when the car shuts off and then back on and its usually a fuel code. Or o2 sensor.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the codes are random

That could be a fuel pump issue as well. It's really hard to say with it being random like that. Any idea what the code numbers were/are?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Fuel pump was replaced.

I saw that, but it could be the voltage to the fuel pump is somehow cutting out. A lean code (ie, p0174, p0172) would point to that.

Have you pulled any of the connectors at the PCM to look for corrosion or damaged pins? I would pull all of the PCM electrical connectors and look for signs of corrosion, water, dirt, or damage and then fill the connector with dielectric grease. Then drive it around and see if it will act up again.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There have been lean codes as well. Bit I just assume it was when the car was cutting out and then back on
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Pulled all the connectors at the computer and harness. Also checked my grounds. I'm thinking it's going as well. And I think it's somewhere under the hood as well because sometimes when this happens. The truck won't start back up it'll just crank and crank. Bit then I pop the hood and play with all the harnesses and it'll fire back up

There's got to be something loosing connection in there if that's the case.

Have you traced the wiring (brown wire) from the crank sensor all the way to the harness and looked for damage or a a short to ground?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Could it be something with the drive by wire system? Or the transmission?

If the transmission fluid is really low or if there is internal damage it will load up the converter and act like a manual transmission does when you stop but don't push the clutch in, but that normally only happens when decelerating.

It could be the throttle position sensor or pedal position sensor, but they will rarely make the engine stall. They usually just make it miss or skip and there is always a check engine light accompanying it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well I don't think it's the tps because I replaced the throttle body and its a one piece unit. Where is the pedal position sensor? Only other thought would be the ignition key cylinder. That maybe it's dropping the ignition signal at the key switch

The pedal position sensor is part of the pedal assembly. I've never seen one go bad without throwing a code though.

The ignition switch could be the issue, but normally other items cut out at the same time. Headlights, power windows, etc...

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What would be the process of replacing the ignition cylinder? This car has the key fobs and antitheft system.

Here is the procedure for replacing the ignition switch. According to dodge it's plug and go, no programming required.

I just wanted to check whether you need any additional help.

If you no longer need assistance, please don't forget to rate.

Jared D
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician