Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

Help with replacement of radiator on Dodge Caravan

Customer Question

Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. I am going to send you the procedures for replacing the radiator when I get home from work in about 20 minutes.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hello , below is a DropBox link that has the radiator info in it.

Copy and paste that link into your address bar and hit enter to see the procedure. Hopefully that will help.

Chris

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4mchhuhtwi4lr0t/RS%20radiator%20removal.doc?dl=0

.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This doesn't really show the issue that I;m having with the removal of the radiator.This show a different cut away then the one that I am trying to work with. I can pull the top of the radiator away from each other but it is the bottom that I am unable to seperate apart. All of the videos I watch online show that it should b easy once the bolts are loosened but that does't seem to be the case. Please give me more detailed instructios to resolve this issue. Thanks,
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Are you able to lift the AC condenser straight up and away from the radiator? And set it in front of the radiator?

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I lift the unit by either the radiator or the condensor the whole thing wants to come up as a whole unit. I removed the bolts that hold the two togethether at the top already.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

There are some tabs at the bottom of the radiator and condenser that will separate when you lift the condenser straight up. Have someone hold the radiator while you pull up on the condenser to separate them.

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just to be sure what you are calling the a/c compressor is the fins that look like a small radiator in front of the radiator that are silver. I happen to have two of these in front of my radiator that one happens to be silver and the other is black and taller than the other. Does this sound right?
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Yes. The larger one is the condenser, and the smaller one is the power steering or transmission cooler.

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I will have some help in the morning to have someone to hold the radiator so I can pull up the other ones. There not loose on there ow so we'll see how well it works then. Hopfully this will take care of the issue I;m havig and they will come loose.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Okay, let me know how it goes.

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I lift on the condenser and transmission cooler I get upwardward movement. However its not enough to free it from the radiator and the lines that are attached to it keep it from moving any further.. When I pull up on the radiator it does not move freely from the ac cooler.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hmmmm, well maybe you will need to remove the ac and cooler lines from the condenser and remove the complete assembly. Then separate the 2. You would then need to evacuate and recharge the ac system after everything is back together.

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well that sounds like an unreasonable requestif ist supposesed to work find the other way!
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

I am not there to see exactly why it won't lift up and away from the radiator, so I am just offering another suggestion so you can get the job done.

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It seems like there would be one standard way to remove and put something together when it comes to something like this.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

I agree. I wish I were there to look at it. If you want, I can opt out of the question so another expert can try to help you. Let me know.

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You closed the conversation before I had time to respond to your last comment. I need to get this job done so I would like to take you up on your offer and see if another expert might be able to provide a prospective that I haven't tried yet. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Ok, sorry. I opted out so now another expert can try to help you out.

Chris