Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I am hearing a clicking or ticking noise under the hood on…

Customer Question
I am hearing a clicking...
I am hearing a clicking or ticking noise under the hood on the right hand side or passangerside of my 2005 dodge stratus. what could that be?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dodge
3/6/2016
Dodge Mechanic: Amedee, Dodge Technician replied 2 years ago
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. Keep in mind, I am not in fron of your vehicle so I cannot hear the noise but I will try my best and give you some possible causes.

Serpentine belt

Pulley (AC ccompressor, power steering pump, Alternator, water pump)

Purge valve

engine valves (ticking as they open and close)

I would start by popping the hood and looking around for anything loose.

You can even remove the serpentine belt and run the engine for a minute or two to see if the noise is no longer there

If the noise is gone, it is related to the seprentine belt or one of the pullies

IT could even be the serpentine belt tensioner or idler pulley

is this problem serious? can I drive my car to work?

I hope this helps you locate the noise. Please let me know if you have any further questions!

HOw long has it been making this noise?

If the noise is coming from the engine itself.. like the valves or lifters, then yes, this is serious and yes I would get it looked at right away. However, it is is coming from the belt, it is not so serious and you can drive the vehicle. However, I would still get it looked at soon because the serpentine belt might be coming apart and you dont want it to break on you while driving. Same thing with a pulley

But there are a lot of times where a ticking noise is not a big deal and it is perfectly ok to drive the vehicle.

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "Excellent Service" for assisting you today.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Hello! It's Amedee from just answer.

I am just checking in to see if you need any further assistance?

Let me know!

.