Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

I'm working on a older couples 1999 Dodge intrepid, they the

Customer Question

I'm working on a older couples 1999 Dodge intrepid, they toke the car to the shop because it would not start, they told it was the fuel Pump, i replaced the fuel pump and car started and ran fine, thin the engine started running poorly, jumping and missing,and it cut off, after restarting the car ran fine, drove the car around. When i went to turn the car off it kept running with the key off, all of the dash lights went out but car kept running until all fuel was burned in cylinders. turned key back on restarted car and it did the same thing, turned lights off and car shut down properly, came out the next day car would not start, turn key engine would not turn over, jumped car checked all connections, battery connections very loose took them off with my hands, replaced cable ends and had battery checked, it is good, put back in car, car started and ran poorly. started looking for a bad connection was told they had a electrical problem, noticed that the blower motor was not functioning properly, i pulled the 30 amp fuse and car ran great drove for several hours, the next morning car would not start. when i talked with the couple they thin showed me a paper they had from the dealer saying that the after market alarm is what was keeping the car from starting, and that they removed and rewired the car back to factory specs, the car started but ran poorly, the said the PCM was giving off erratic voltage readings, if the PCM has stop functioning will it cause the car engine no to turn over.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. Yes the PCM can prevent the engine from turning over. It supplies a ground signal to the starter relay also and can prevent the engine from cranking. So if the dealer decided that there is a problem with the PCM, then you should probably replace it.

n Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hello, just checking back to see if you received my last reply?

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you. We ordered on that will Co already programed for the car.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Great! Let me know how it goes when you get it installed!!

Chris