Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2003 dodge durango. Brake light not working but running

Customer Question
2003 dodge durango. Brake...

2003 dodge durango. Brake light not working but running lights and blinkers work.replaced the brake light switch due to it being ripped out.

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I spliced all the wires to correct pairs but no luck tested for 12v but only got about 7v

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dodge
3/4/2016
Dodge Mechanic: Amedee, Dodge Technician replied 2 years ago
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. If you jumper the brake light switch, do the brake lights illuminate? What size engine do you have?

V8 4.7.. jump which wires

Jumper the Pink/dark blue wire to the tan/white wire

No luck

Does the high mount stop lamp work when jumpering these wires?

No it does not

Ok, then I suspect the problem is upstream due to the low voltage going to the switch. Start by checking fuse 19 in the juntion box for power. Be sure it has FULL battery voltage on it at all times.

No.. wait... I take that back. It is fuse number 5 (20 amp fuse) in the power distribution center under the hood that feeds the brake light switch.

If this fuse has full battery voltage on it, then the problem is between this fuse and the brake light switch. If this fuse has low voltage on it, then I suspect the problem to be upstream of the fuse.. like a bad power distribution center or a bad connection at or after the battery.

Ok so the fuse is only rating at 5v

No.. this is fuse NUMBER 5 and it is a 20 AMP fuse

I I don't know how to check amperage with my multimeter

Your not checking amps. Your checking volts. Just set it to the 20 volt DC setting

Okay it's maxing out at 11v
Scratch that 13v

Ok, then thats good. This means we have succesfully narrowed the problem down. Since this fuse is good and have full battery voltage on it, this means the problem is between the fuse and the brake light switch.

Ok what next

Either the power distribution is bad or the wire from the PDC to the brake light switch is bad. I would check the wire first and replace it if there is a voltage drop from the PDC to the brake light switch. If there is low voltage coming directly out of the PDC on that circuit, then the problem is inside the PDC and the PDC is bad and need to be replaced.

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "Excellent Service" for assisting you today.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Hello! It's Amedee from just answer.

I am just checking in to see if you need any further assistance?

Let me know!

.