Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Jared, I hope you recall our conversation where I was having…

Customer Question
Hi Jared, I hope you...
Hi Jared, I hope you recall our conversation where I was having misfire issues and the dealer had replaced 8 XXXX and the problem returned next day with engine light returning. I pursued the problem with the Service Manager directly and got him to get personally involved. We have had a successful compression test and drip down ( as I think it is called) and all is checking out OK. With some driving the car and analyzing with the computer have determined that the MDS system where the computer that shut downs 4 cylinders at appropriate times is malfunctioning in one cylinder ( cylinder 2 as I had determined from the code tester). It appears the MDS system kicks in appropriately but cylinder 4 does not release itself ( something about the pin maybe or it being stuck ) and thus causes the misfiring situation. It is only that cylinder that refuses to open up after closing most ot the time. They have been trying several times to drain the oil and replacing with some strong lubricant and attempting to remove any carbon or sludge etc that may be cauing the sticking, It has not solved the problem and after several days have moved to next step which is to pull the head ( I think I am saying correctly) and inspecting the lifter and the MDS pin or whatever and hopefully as he told me today in person they can identify the problem. Depending what they find will determine what the next step is. Pulling the head and the inspetion I just mentioned was to happen today and I did not get a report as to how it went. Tomorrow morning I get the news and the next step if necessary. The service manager does seem quite knowledgable and asked him to take a personal interest which he has, As I understand it he will not be charging me anything for the additional time and the compression and drip down and lubricants and pulling the head and inspection, So if it goes beyond that, i will be looking at some costs. He mentoned something about machine shop and other things being involved if we need to remove a 'cylinder'!! I am looking for your thoughts and guide me throgh the process as best you can. Charlie
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dodge
3/3/2016
Dodge Mechanic: Jared D, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
I don't want to keep you waiting, but I'm at cub scouts with my boy. I'll check in this evening.

The system cleared out your last question. What year is your Durango again?

Hi Jared
I remember those days. I am retired now but my son was a Cub Scout and then a Boy Scout and achieved Eagle Scout. I was committee chairman for several years.
I plan to call the Serv Manager in the morning and see if he did the initial exploratory and what was found.
Do you think he will be able to see anything like he explained to me...or is the approach productive?
Depending on what news I get and suggested actions, I may want to bounce it off you for a sanity check, as opposed to saying "OK Fine".
As to prior work he said to replace all 8 of those things I forget the name was protocol as the all work in a control module.
I did not buy it but chose to remind him I spent a grand and would not have done so if that was not the solution to the misfires. I actually told him the misfiring was worse couple days after the work was done and the check engine lightl remained on. He explained the defined protocol but I was not convinced the work was truly verified before returning car to me. I just see something came I'n from you this min.
2006 Durango .

That's awesome, my son just started. This was his third den meeting. Last week was the Pinewood derby- he placed second. Everyone blamed his mechanic Dad...go figure.

It sounds like they are on the right track. Bad lifters (MDS solenoids) are fairly common on this engine and dodge blames it on engine sludge. That usually means that the part was poorly engineered and will need replacement regardless of how much or how little sludge there is.

The lifters have to fill with oil pressure to open the valves correctly. If the oil passages become restricted the valve doesn't get opened at the right time or duration and the engine misfires. If the oil can't get through for long enough time then the lifter gets scored and might damage the cam shaft. I doubt that happened unless you were getting an engine chatter.

They will (or at least should) probably replace all of the lifters and put it back together. It will likely cure the problem. I can't imagine there would be any additional engine concerns if they performed the leak down and compression tests properly. Any cylinder or head problems would have shown up in those tests.

The only bad news I would prep for would be if the lifters were bad enough score the cams. Then you will need all new lifters and new cams. That might get expensive.

HI Greg, I just received email results from dealer. It turns out it was a PCM Module issue. They replaced the PCM and a CO2 Sensor which is $962 and $220 ---- and good-willed it No Charge. They road tested 32 miles and the check engine light is off and reports no misfires and runs well. Will pick up the vehicle in the morning. Thought you would like to know for your furure reference and thank you for your support. Charlie

So the PCM wasn't commanding the MDS solenoids rather than a problem with the solenoids themselves. That's odd that they couldn't see that through the data stream from the PCM. I'm glad they got you going again!

Jared,
Thank you for your help. I rated your reply.
Charlie

Please let me know if you need help in the future.

Jared,
I have already rated your answer and advised you of this.
However I keep getting messages.
Charlie

Just Answer must be sending you automated messages.

The system has this question logged as "not yet rated" on my end. Perhaps try again? Maybe it's hung up somehow. I'm sorry, I've never seen how it looks from the customer side. As experts we get a limited view of what goes on on the customer end.

Jared D
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician