Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

08 avenger starter stays engaged and won't start. Car lost…

Customer Question
08 avenger starter stays engaged...
08 avenger starter stays engaged and won't start. Car lost power before then and died on the road.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dodge
3/2/2016
Dodge Mechanic: Tom, ASE Master Certified replied 2 years ago
Tom
Tom, ASE Master Certified

It sounds like the ignition switch is the problem with your Avenger. The car might have a feature called "tip to start" which is intended to keep the starter engaged without you having to hold the key. However if it continues to keep the starter engaged more than 8 seconds or so it may be a bad ignition switch. Here's something that you can try that may help us figure it out.

Turn the key as if you want to start it but let go of the key to see if it continues to keep cranking. Count how many seconds that it continues to crank and turn it off yourself if it goes more than 10.

If the engine eventually starts then it may be a bad crankshaft sensor or camshaft sensor.