xsvector
xsvector, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  asetech
6149662

Where is the crank sensor located 1986 dodge ram pickup 150

Customer Question

where is the crank sensor located 1986 dodge ram pickup 150
Category: Dodge
Expert:  xsvector replied 1 year ago.

which motor ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
318
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1986 Dodge ram 150 d 318
Expert:  xsvector replied 1 year ago.

its part of the distributor

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok it is a single pickup coil in the dist and the dist is new what part of the didt is the sensor
Expert:  xsvector replied 1 year ago.

Electronic ignition with distributor is as follows:

Crank or cam angle position sensor and a power transistor (ignition module) is required to trigger the actual field collapse of the primary coil winding that generates the high voltage spark source in the first place. (handled by mechanical switch called points in full mechanical ignition).

Mechanical distributor then routes the high voltage discharge from the single secondary coil to the appropriate cylinder. So the rotor may be mechanically lined up with the right cylinder, but the electronics are what actually detect crank position and fire off the spark.

The only reason you have a distributor in a electronic ignition system is because you only have one coil. Typically you don't have a direct crank position sensor in this case, but a cam position sensor and reluctor wheel within the distributor housing in the same location that would normally house points, along with wires coming out of the distributor base connecting to the ignition module.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok I see the reluctor wheel with the raised edges slight distance from pickup coil The cam position sensor I am not sure about that one is it switch plate assembly and is there an adjust of some sort. It is a new dist
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do see the wires from the didt to ecu . does the vaccum control move plate assembly
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if I do a volt test out of dist on cranking how many volts will it show if working properly
Expert:  xsvector replied 1 year ago.

whats the truck doing or not doing?