Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

2006 3.7L Ram. Cranks but will not start. Fuel pump is

Customer Question

2006 3.7L Ram. Cranks but will not start. Fuel pump is working and it has approx. 55 psi when switched on.
No codes.
Sprayed starting fluid into intake, still no starting.
Recently replaced all coil packs and spark plugs, and was running great yesterday, but dead this morning.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. So the engine cranks over but does not start? And it does not run on starting fluid? No codes in the computer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No codes. It seems to try to start, as though the plugs are getting random fire, but not enough spark or correct timing in order to start the engine.
Crank position sensor issue?
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

It is very possible! How do you know there is not enougbh spark?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just guessing. Since I have fuel, and compression is good.....that makes me think ignition is either missing, intermittent, weak, or way off timing.
I'm open for suggestions.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Ok. let me do some digging

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Ok, if the engine does have spark but does not run on starting fluid, then yes, the engine is out of time. Ignition timing or valve timing. This could be related to the timing chain (broken or jumped timing chain) or a broken/cracked flex plate/flywheel.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not think that either of those issues exist with my engine. If the timing chain / gear had jumped or broken, the engine would not have sufficient compression.
I am not happy with the answers, not helpful.
How may I get a refund to my charge?
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

We are not done yet. We are just getting started. I have a lot more ideas.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Lets continue.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

What is the engine compression at?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
around 130 - 140 lbs at cranking
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

That is a good reading. However, that does not mean the engine is in time. The timing chain can still be off a tooth or two and it will still produce good compression readings. Are there any codes in the computer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no codes
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Ok, if the crank sensor or cam sensor was bad it usually sets a code. Also, if the cam or crank sensor was bad, the engine wont have spark when cranking.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I really need some answers, since this is my work truck and not having it available is a serious problem. Let me know if you're stumped, and I'll seek another source. No hard feelings, I just need help badly.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

I completley understand. But it is what it is. If the engine does in fact have spark but it does not run on starting fluid, the engine is either flooded or simply out of time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I determine if the timing chain has jumped? Any method short of pulling the valve covers?
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

YES, you can remove the spark plugs and line up the pistson on each cylinder at TDC. Then remove the valve covers and check to see the position of the valves. With the piston on TDC (going up on exhaust stroke and coming down on the intake stroke, the exhaust valve will close as the intake valve starts to open as the engine is being rotated slowly. This is called valve overlap. Valve overlap should only occur with the piston at TDC.. not before or not after TDC. If it does, then the valve timing is off. Keep in mind, you wont be able to see the valve inside the piston.. but you will be able to see if/when the camshaft lobe is pushing or forcing the valves open when veiwing from the top with the valve cover removed.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello! It's Amedee from just answer.

I am just checking in to see if you need any further assistance?

Let me know!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Replaced the crankshaft position sensor. Fixed.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

EXCELLENT!! I am glad to hear it is all fixed! Crank sensor will do it!!

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the heads up. Glad to hear it is up and running!

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "Excellent Service" for assisting you today.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

.