Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

03 Ram diesel stalls when start'n to shift also while

Customer Question

03 Ram diesel stalls when start'n to shift also while maintaining a steady speed but won't stall if you stomp down on it. It doesn't die or stall at an idle. Just when trying to pick up speed it starts stalling like turning the key on and off. Any thoughts
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

If you clear out this code then operate the vehicle does the code set again when this issue occurs?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
problem continues
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I apologize for the delay.

The code set here leads to the transfer case position sensor wiring at fault or sensor at fault needing replaced or an issue with the PCM (powertrain control module).I dont see the transfer case position sensor or sensor wiring causing a stall out but if the PCM has an internal electrical short it will cause the code setting here as well as the stall out.There is a diagnostic procedure that needs followed for this fault code here that I will post below.it requires a scan tool that can read engine and other computers data lists to check.I suspect you may have a faulty PCM needing replaced which can be common to cause this type of fault here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2qmmyshecya5drv/p-03-02.gif?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uih3gfs9u93dwuz/pc-03-02.gif?dl=0

SYMPTOM P0839-4WD MODE SENSOR HIGH WHEN MONITORED Continuously with the ignition key on. SET CONDITION When the 4WD Mode Sensor input circuit voltage raises above 4.78 volts for 5.72 seconds. POSSIBLE CAUSES - Transfer case position sensor input circuit open - Transfer case position sensor input circuit short to voltage - Transfer Case Position Sensor - Powertrain control module - Intermittent operation

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete