Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2011 6.7 cummins with about 138,000 miles on it. I…

Customer Question
I have a 2011 6.7...
I have a 2011 6.7 cummins with about 138,000 miles on it. I have been getting error code p0101 I cleared the code and after a few hundread miles it came back I ignored it after seeing on my obd2 reader that the same code was coming back multiple times. I cleared it again and when my engine light went off I ignored it all of a sudden I have a lack of high end power around 60-70mph I went to punch the throttle up a grade that my truck usually will fly up with no problems...this time I had no power and started loosing speed. I read my engine codes again and found a total of 18 codes...p 2228, p0107, p007, p1193, p 0101, p228. Any help much appreciated.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dodge
2/29/2016
Dodge Mechanic: Robert R, ASE Certified Master replied 2 years ago
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 28+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Can you clear the codes and drive it for several miles under different driving conditions and see which codes come back first? Post ALL codes that come back on the initial road test...

Thank you.

I am researching this concern for you and will get back with you as soon as possible, Thanks for your patience while I gather the information needed for your answer. Your understanding is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert

The scanner I am using says 6 codes are left wont erase for some reason. I did unplug the two map and maf sensors to clean them. The engine light has gone away. Just to make sure I get what you want me to do correctly..Drive the truck until the check engine light comes back on?

Go ahead and post the codes that won't clear. Then we can go from there...

Thank you,

Robert

p1193, p0101, p2bac, p007d, p0107, p2228I'm not sure if any of these were caused by me cleaning the sensors. Is there any chance my egr is clogged or may get clogged by any of these codes coming up...im worried about driving my truck and making something worse.
just want to make it be known only error codes I was getting the past 1000 miles was p0101 not sure what or why.

Ok, sorry for the delay, was gathering info for those codes. All the codes are related to either the MAP, MAF or Inlet Temp Sensors. Chances are high that cleaning these sensors has caused some damage to them. It is also possible that you installed the Inlet Pressure Sensor (on Air Cleaner Housing) and the MAP sensor (on the Intake Plenum) have been installed in each other's location. These sensors look the same externally but WILL NOT work correctly if installed in the wrong location. Hopefully you are absolutely sure that they are in the correct location.

If you were having the P0101 initially, I am assuming that you have a failed Mass Air Flow Sensor. Cleaning this sensor almost NEVER fixes the problem. It will need to be replaced.

For now, If you are uncertain that you installed the MAP sensor and Inlet Pressure sensor in the correct location, try crossing them to see if you are able to clear some codes.

As for the P2BAC code, this is an informational code that comes up when certain other codes are present. Once the problem is solved, the P2BAC will clear.

For now here is a ZIP file that contains several documents for the codes you posted above. Read through them and you should be able to find the common problem that may be responsible for all these codes. Once you are able to clear these codes, the vehicle should begin operating normally.

By the way, what is the make and model of the scanner that you are using?

Here is the Diagnostic info ---->> Click Here to Download

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

the map sensor and inlet pressure sensors do look alike but I can tell the difference one has a foam gasket on it and the pressure sensor was caked in soot I pulled it after putting the intake sensors back into place so there was no chance they where swapped. As for the map sensor I disconnected it and looked at it but was clean and didn't use any cleaner on it.Is there a big difference on if I use an oem maf sensor or aftermarket from local auto part?

Then I recommend to run the diagnostic procedures for the MAP sensor and Inlet Pressure Sensor to make sure the wiring is ok. IF wiring is ok and you are getting the proper 5 volt supply voltages, the sensors will have to be assumed faulty and need to be replaced.

IF you are referring to the MAF sensor that was clean. The P0101 code likely condemns the sensor and it should be replaced.

I HIGHLY recommend to use a Factory sensor. We have seen issues with the aftermarket sensors.

being that there's a good chance the maf sensor is faulty can that cause the truck to not have power up a grade as it lacked yesterday?

Correct. Mass Air Flow Sensor tells the ECM how much air is entering the engine, If the data is corrupt, it WILL cause a loss of power especially climbing up a grade.

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

I also need to let you know that my responses may be delayed because I may be helping another customer, or I may be temporarily offline. Your understanding is greatly appreciated.

______________________________________

If you need additional information, don't hesitate to ask, I am happy to help as long as necessary to help solve your concern. Remember, a "Positive" Rating will not close this question, You can post a reply here whenever you want, even after rating my answer!