Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Okay idk if you could see what i was typing before. but

Customer Question
Okay idk if you...

Okay idk if you could see what i was typing before. but basically i installed a new abs sensor in the pumpkin. i have an 06 dodge ram 1500 with a diablo sports tuner so i was driving last night all of a sudden it wouldn't go past 50mph and the rpms sounded very high. i've had a few different codes pop up like a 733,732,732

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dodge
ok. so just now i decided to try using 2 gear maually and all of a sudden it would go past 50 again. but the fluid does smell burnt
i did put a new output speed sensor on it also. i haven't done the input speed sensor yet. i need to fix this tomorrow because i have to drive to dallas which is 30 miles and i don't wanna completly mess up my tranny
i have read to change both sensors, then remove the pan, new fluid along with the 2 new filters and a new pickup tube. i'm just not familar with dodge since i was a gm drivability for yeras
i've also also read that it could be the torque converter, or the shift cable not up to specs. which i could see also. so if you could lead me in a directino that way i know where to even starter
2/29/2016
Dodge Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 2 years ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If your fluid in the transmission does smell burnt this usually indicates one or more of the components in the transmission is failing or has failed.This can cause speed sensor codes and issues here with lack of shifting.The burned fluid indicates an internal mechanical fault.The transmission will have to be inspected further unfortunately to locate the source of the burned fluid then from there repaired to correct this fault here.This can require the transmission to be removed to take it apart for internal inspection and repair.This is best done by a transmission repair facility or a dealer that can do this.I suspect burned internal clutches as this can be most common.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

but what i don't understand is why is it when i put it in manual second. that it starts responding like it's supposed to. and if the pump isn't working correctly could that also cause the burnt smell and not shifting since it's not putting pressure to the plates?

Putting it in second gear will allow the transmission to operate manually since you have bypassed drive when you have done this.So any mechanical components at fault in the transmission may operate properly past drive since it is in second gear.

if the pump is failing this will cause components to burn up in the transmission due to lack of fluid to the components.This is definitely a possibility as well here needing checked into to see if it needs replaced.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.

Thanks Pete

is the pump checkable by using the service ports? but what i also don't understand is why after putting the pumpkin abs speed sensor in. why in the same day did all this happen?? idk, i've read alot on these codes and symptoms and alot have said that the sump pump, and the two filters along with new fluid could fix this. so if i take it to a trans shop will they be able to determine what is exactly the problem?

A transmission shop can usually install a transmission fluid pressure test gauge to test pressure from the pump to see if an issue is found.They can also actuate components in the transmission with a scan tool or manually to check pressure readings which will help them determine if the pump is the cause or if another component is at fault.

In some cases transmission fluid filters can restrict and cause issues as well and in some cases just replacing the filters and fluid may correct this but usually with burnt fluid this does indicate an internal mechanical fault.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician