Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2005 Durango Limited 5.7L hemi, 116K mile, that is…

Customer Question
Hi - I have a...
Hi - I have a 2005 Durango Limited 5.7L hemi, 116K mile, that is having an intermittent problem with the electronic throttle. The electronic throttle light problem dash light will come on and the engine goes into limp home mode just above idle. Sometimes the throttle is just fine. I have a Accutron OBD scanner but can find no trouble codes.
Other background: I recently had problems with the transfer case going randomly into 4-lock and 4-lo. Replaced the TC actuator motor and TC seems ok. I also noticed a couple of times that the dash illumination
flashed high (full illumination) briefly. I also had the engine stop when making a right turn, but this was before I replaced the TC AM.
Looks like an electrical problem - bad grounds, ECM, bad connectors, other places to look?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dodge
2/28/2016
Dodge Mechanic: Chris, Shop Foreman replied 2 years ago
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman

Hello and welcome to just answer. I have seen where the throttle body itself can get bound up and cause this issue. If the TPS ( Throttle Position Sensor ) in the throttle body does not see a voltage change when you step on the throttle, then 5hat light will come on and force the PCM to go into limp in. Inspect the harness and connector at the throttle body. Wipe down the inside of the throttle body with a throttle body cleaner sprayed on a rag. If the problem continues, then I suggest replacing the throttle body. We see this at the dealer where I work. I hope that this information is helpful and please let me know if you need further assistance.

Chris

Ok - I've had the "Bad electronic throttle" light come on right at engine start without touching the throttle - it idles ~1500rpm with no throttle response at that point. I'll try checking the TPS & connectors - anyway to test the TPS itself to diagnose it to that or eliminate it? Do you think it could be the ECM?

Hmmmm, the throttle blade may be sticking open at atart up and that can cause the high idle and ETC light. The TPS voltage can be checked using the sensor display menu on your scan tool. The TPS voltage should transition smoothly as you step on the throttle. If it is jumpy ot glitchy, then replace the throttle body. Is it the ECM ? well maybe, but based on your description of the symptoms, I do not feel as though it is the ECM/PCM.

I hope that helps,

Chris

I cleaned the TB and it didn't seem that dirty/gummy/sticking, and reconnected the TB cable. I have an Airaid CAI on this, and when taking it off to get access to the TB, what I believe is the air temp sensor may have been out or, or very loose in the air intake plenum (it pressure fits into a rubber grommet in the CAI tube, as opposed to a twist lock in the original plenum). If this was the case - could this have caused the ETC issue - I would expect engine to run really poorly or throw codes if the air temp sensor was not reading the intake air temp.One other thing to add - a few weeks ago it threw a "EGR High Flow" code which I cleared and hasn't been back. I replaced the EGR with an inexpensive (Dorman ?) unit, and I see some people are complaining that these fail quickly - any possibility this could be related to causing the ETC issue?

The intake air temp sensor probably is not causing the ETC light, but I could see the EGR valve causing this. You may want to try an OEM Mopar valve if the problem continues.

Chris

Hello, just checking back to see how it is going with the Durango.

Chris

I haven't had a chance to drive it yet, I want my wife to follow me in case it fails hard - since it's been intermittent you never know if its going to come back! If it's still acting up, would you suggest the next step would be to replace the TB and/or EGR?

Gotcha. If it acts up again, go with the throttle body next, then the EGR valve would be the next step.

Chris

Chris
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman