Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2007 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins. Crank no start. It has…

Customer Question
I have a 2007 Dodge...
I have a 2007 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins. Crank no start. It has 3 codes in it. P1401, U140d and U0100. I have sent the ECM in and had it checked. It checked out ok.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dodge
2/28/2016
Dodge Mechanic: Robert R, ASE Certified Master replied 2 years ago
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 28+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

I am researching this concern for you and will get back with you as soon as possible, Thanks for your patience while I gather the information needed for your answer. Your understanding is greatly appreciated. Please post a reply so that I know you still need help with this concern.

Thanks,

Robert

I am still needing help with this issue

Hello, I have a bit of info for you.

Here is some info on the U140D for now

Click here

on the P1401, I'm not finding info on that code, by chance could it be U1401? If so, it would make more sense along with the u140d. As for the P0100, I need to know what module this code was stored in... It will better help get the correct diagnostic info...

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

I also need to let you know that my responses may be delayed because I may be helping another customer, or I may be temporarily offline. Your understanding is greatly appreciated.

Thank you...

Robert

I am using a scan gauge and the codes are U140d, U1401, and U0100. From what I can tell is that I have an issue with implausible engine speed, a transmission error and loss of communication according to these codes. Just not sure where to start on it......
I will test again to make sure those are the exact codes. Also it will not allow me to clear the codes. It returns a communication error I believe.
Also your click here link does not work.

Hello, Sorry for the delay,

Here is some info that I promised.

Click Here to download

Included is info on all codes posted. The U0100 diag could be slightly different depending on which module is reporting the code.

At this time, I recommend to diagnose the U0100 code first. If you can solve this code, it should auutomatically solve the others.

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

I have read through your info but the problem is I am using scan gauge and do not have the ability to tell which bus the dtc is coming from

It's important to know what module the code is originating in as this is a very important part of the diagnostic process. Otherwise you won't be able to properly diagnose this and it could lead to replacement of the wrong part...

At this time, I recommend to at least have it scanned with a factory scanner (Witech). Unless you find an independent shop with access to this scanner system you will have no choice but to have the dealer scan it for you. They can give you a printout of the scan that will include all this necessary information...

Thank you,

Robert

______________________________________

If you need additional information, don't hesitate to ask, I am happy to help as long as necessary to help solve your concern. Remember, a "Positive" Rating will not close this question, You can post a reply here whenever you want, even after rating my answer! .

At this time, from info from the other 2 codes, you can probably safely assume that the P0100 is originating from the TCM. If this is the case, and this code is NOT also stored in other modules, you can safely assume that the TCM will probably need to be replaced.

Both diagnostic charts basically list the TCM as the only possibility for your concern.

TCM replacement and configuring should solve this problem...

Thank you,

Robert

Can the Tcm be tested and where is it located??

If you can post the last 8 digits of the VIN, I can give you the location.

As for actually testing the TCM itself, no. The diagnostic procedure for the codes U1401 and u140D are the tests that can condemn the TCM.... If the u0100 is also originating in the TCM ONLY, that will confirm that the TCM is bad and needs replacement.

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

7g797104

On your vehicle, the TCM is located inside the vehicle under the dash just to the left of the steering column.

Click to view location

Remember, if you replace the TCM, it MUST be properly configured to avoid problems and possible transmission issues.

Thank you,

Robert

______________________________________

Thank you!

Robert

Can you give me a schematic for the pin out on the Tcm?

Here is the connector pin chart for the TCM---->> Click Here

Thank you,

Robert

Okay we are waiting on the TCM to be reworked. It will take a week or two before we know that is what we needed

sounds good, keep me posted....

Thank you and thanks for using JustAnswer!

Robert

On the pin out you sent. It shows pin 1 as 8 volt... Is that the feed for the unit? Or is it the can bus + and -

Pin 1 on the TCM C2 connector is the 8 volt supply. This is the voltage that the TCM outputs to the transmission sensors. CAN + and - are on pins 20 and 21 of the C2 connector. The power supply for the TCM is on pin 7 of the C2 connector.

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

If you need additional information, don't hesitate to ask. If I have answered your question, Please kindly"Rate" my service, it is greatly appreciated. Thank you and thanks for asking your question!

We have received all your info but as I stated, we are waiting on ecmdepot to tell us if the tcm is bad or not. We have shipped it to them and hope to hear back by the end of next week.

Sounds good, keep me posted and we can continue at that time....

Thank you,

Robert

______________________________________

If you need additional information, don't hesitate to ask, I am happy to help as long as necessary to help solve your concern. Remember, a "Positive" Rating will not close this question, You can post a reply here whenever you want, even after rating my answer!

Thank you!

Robert

Tcm checked out 100% good. They are telling me it has to be something in wiring

Have you reinstalled the TCM and rescanned the vehicle to see what codes are current? I need current codes. Another thing I need is to know if this is still a "No Start" concern. Also, is there a "Red Dot" illuminated on the cluster when you are trying to start the engine?

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Robert R
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master