Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My name is ***** *****. I have an 03 Dodge Durango SXT I…

Customer Question
My name is *****...

My name is ***** *****. I have an 03 Dodge Durango SXT I just bought from a personal owner. It shuts off while idling at a red light, or if I'm too slow to put it in reverse. It seems like if I barely touch the gas, it sputters and wants to shut off. I have to put it back inn park, and restart it. (With no problems.) Also, it will turn off completely and RANDOMLY while driving, and then turn right back on. (Still while driving.) There is no check engine light, but auto zone said it shows "EVAP SYSTEM LEAK"

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

The evap system leak is as much as I know..

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dodge
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/27/2016
Dodge Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 2 years ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The evap leak wont cause this issue here unless this leak is at the purge control at the engine then this could be a vacuum leak causing the code and the stalling issue here.

I would have the engine checked over for any vacuum leaks and if any vacuum leaks are found the leak will need repaired to correct this here.I would also have the throttle body cleaned of carbon using a shop rag with some carburetor cleaner or brake cleaner sprayed onto this rag.This can sometimes cause this stall out and cleaning it may correct this fault here.You would wipe out the throttle body bore and bore plate to clean it.

If these do not correct the fault here I would have the fuel pressure tested to see if there is low fuel pressure.If there is low fuel pressure this can be due to a restricted fuel filter or weak fuel pump needing replaced.

All of these will cause this type of fault here and need checked into to locate and repair this fault.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

How do I get the fuel pressure checked? And also, am I able to check for vacuum leaks myself or do I actually have to go to a shop to do all this? Are any of these fixes costly? :(

The fuel pressure test is done with a fuel pressure test gauge.This is usually done by a shop or dealer.This can cost around $50 to $100 for this test.You can check for vacuum leaks visually for any loose or damaged hoses needing repaired or replaced.If any faults are found then the affected hoses needs repaired or replaced for this issue here.If no visible leaks are found then you can have a shop or dealer do a smoke test where smoke is injected into the intake to locate any hard to see leaks like intake gaskets leaking.This can run anywhere from $50 to $100 to have tested.

The repair costs will vary.Vacuum leaks anywhere from $75 to $300 to repair and a fuel pump maybe around $600 to have replaced.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.

Thanks Pete

Ok, thank you. I'm not very mechanically inclined, but my mom is. As long as she knows about what to look for. WHERE about should I "visually look" for a hose leak? Anywhere, or around the engine, or?? One more question please. With your expert experience... If you had to take a WILD GUESS on what the problem most likely is, what would it be? I was hearing other things like catalytic (something or other), and loose plugs? Idk. I just wanna go from the MOST LIKELY PROBLEM, ON DOWN TO LEAST LIKELY. I'm broke and got 4 little ones.

Your welcome.

Check on the engine for any black vacuum rubber hoses.These are the vacuum lines see if any are cracked or broken needing repaired or replaced.They would run to the intake and throttle body in some cases and brake booster near the master cylinder.Most likely is carbon build up in the throttle body or fuel filter or fuel pump.Least likely would be vacuum leak.If it was a catalytic converter issue you would have running issues as well.Loose plugs would cause rough running.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician