Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Just swapped the motor in my 2001 and when I turn the key on…

Customer Question
Just swapped the motor in...
Just swapped the motor in my 2001 and when I turn the key on I have some power like Windows an lights but no power to the gauge cluster an won't activate the starter
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dodge
2/25/2016
Dodge Mechanic: Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician

That sounds like the Vehicle Theft Security System (VTSS) has been activated and is preventing the engine from starting. The system can be disarmed 2 ways; unlock vehicle using original key in any door lock, or by pressing original Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitter UNLOCK button. If alarm has been set off, either method can be used to disarm and shut off horn and lights.

Please let me know if that helps.

Best Regards.

The vehicle is unlocked an there is now vtss on the truck ive come to the conclusion it's either my ecm or pcm

Well, in that case I'll opt out since you seem to have it all figured out. Please do not reply to my post or the system will revert your request to me. You can contact Customer Service for any other inquiries.

Best Regards.

Dodge Mechanic: sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech replied 2 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the instrument cluster is completely down then the pr0blem is deeper than the PCM or ECM. If the cluster works but the fuel gauge and voltmeter do not then the PCM isn't awake, but that won't prevent the starter from engaging.

Does the cluster not wake up at all?