Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2005 Dodge ram 1500 4x4. My front left half shaft will not…

Customer Question
2005 Dodge ram 1500 4x4...
2005 Dodge ram 1500 4x4. My front left half shaft will not come out of the bearing hub. It seem to be frozen in the hub. I have the upper , lower ball joints loose from the spindle and the tie rod removed. But can not get the half shaft out of the bearing hub. Any ideas ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dodge
2/24/2016
Dodge Mechanic: Mike V., Auto Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Mechanic

Hi there,

I would hook the spindle back into the ball joints, then take a punch and hammer and try driving the joint out of the hub. It won't move all the way out, but if you can get it started it might make it loose enough so you can then take the ball joints back off and remove it from the hub.

If that doesn't work, then you will need to get a slide hammer. With the spindle held in place by the ball joints, you can use the slide hammer to pull the hub off the joint.

I have used both of these methods and they will work. Most of the larger parts chains will likely have a slide hammer with a rental program or a lend a tool program.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Do you need further assistance with this?