Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Will, the interiior lights are working and door locks but no…

Customer Question
Will, the interiior...

Will, the interiior lights are working and door locks but no power to radio

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

2007 dodge durango 4door 4. 7 v8 8 speaker alpine system

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dodge
I have power to all other functions cigarete lighter heating/air. The radio part # ***** if that helps any
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/24/2016
Dodge Mechanic: Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH replied 2 years ago
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH

Hi, my name is ***** ***** the radio is the ony thing you ar having problems with?

pretty much. It was fine then battery went dead in vehichle. I jumped it off and when i turned it back on the speakers played for about 45 secounds then just cut off. I couldnt figure out what would cause that. The only thing i could think that could be was maybe a relay or something. So i checked all fuses because i have the built in amp in my Durango and all fuses were fine. Well i used to work at a car audio stoore i intalled stereos but it was in the late 90s Early 2000 stuff has changed a bit. So i was going to just get a new radio. So i bout a Kenwood hooked everything up had power and everything but no sound. So i put my original back in and now neither one is getting any power what so ever.

Ok, you need to first check the fuse 7,11 and 12, and see if these fuses are good and have power to them with the key on, can you do this?

hold just one sec. Now thats the fuse box under dash correct?

Yes

Ok those fuses are ok

ok, do you have the factory radio out where you can check wires at the radio?

ok, we need to check the grey and red wire at the radio, and see if it has power, can you do this?

let me grab my tester

let me know,Tim

Ill do, ... Now there is 2 grey and red wires coming out of the factory's harness. Does it matter wich one? One is right above the other.

check them both

No neither one has power

ok, these wires get there power from the #12 fuse, can you doubke check that fuse, and also make sure there is power to this fuse?

That fuse is getting no power to it...

then there is a break in the grey/red wire, some wherr between the fuse box and the radio, you can trace the wire, but it may be easier to just run a new power wire to it, it has power at ll times, Tim

Ok, so where does that leave me with getting no power coming out of my fuse box. The tester showed there was no power coming from the fuse box itself. I can run the wire to the radio to the fusebox but if there is still no power in the fusebox it still wont work will it?

ok, I am sorry, I thought you said it had power at the fuse, give me a second to pull up the wiring diagrams again

yes, the fuse box under the dash is the one with the fuse 12

Yeah i got that, checked it and it has no power coming in to it at all. Therefore i could rewire the red and grey wire to radio from fusebox but will still do no good if i have no incoming power.

ok, that fuse gets its power from the #27 fuse in the fuse box under the HOOD, can you check this fuse,Tim

did you check this fuse?

was it blown?

It started to rain on me Tim im sorry, im headed back outside tobhave a look at it now.
Ok, that fuse is getting power to it

and the fuse is good?

OK, THEN THERE IS EITHER A PROBLEM IN ONE OF THE FUSE BOXES, OR THE WIRE BETWEEN THE 27 FUSE AND THE 12 FUSE IS BROKEN, FIRT OHM OUT THE WIRE BETWEEN THE FUSE BOXES, IF IT IS GOOD,CHECK FOR POWER COMING OUT OF THE UNDER HOOD FUSE BOX FOR POWER, THIS IS A ORANGE/RED WIRE, IF IT DOES NOT HAVE POWER, THEN REPLACE THE UNDERHOOD FUSE BOX, IF IT DOES, THEN CHECK IT AT THE UNDER DASH FUSE BOX, IF IT HAS POWER, THEN REPLACE THE UNDER DASH FUSE BOX,TIM