Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

01 DODGE TURBO DIESEL 150,000 MILES STARTED SMOKING GREY TO…

Customer Question
01 DODGE TURBO DIESEL 150,000...
01 DODGE TURBO DIESEL 150,000 MILES STARTED SMOKING GREY TO TAN SUDDENLY & LIFTER NOISE INCREASED. ENGINE POWER SEEMED TO STAY ABOUT THE SAME
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dodge
2/24/2016
Dodge Mechanic: sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech replied 2 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

You're most likely hearing excessive combustion noise unless you have valvetrain damage. If there was valvetrain damage enough to cause noise then it should run poorly.

Have you checked for fault codes?
Did the problem start after any work was done?

Is the oil full?

Oil is full. Hasn't been any recent work done.only fault code is battery temp. None of this helps with my QUESTION of why it's smoking ??

I'm trying to gather information to attempt diagnosis remotely since I am not there to do so in person.

Did the problem start not long after getting fuel?

No, actually I was low on fuel. But the next day I went & got fuel & it got worse. That was driving truck about 1/4 mile.
I'm goin to work now. After five I can follow up with any test etc. That might help get to an answer. Any questions during the day that I don't have to be at the truck. Would be fine. Thanks

Do you have a scan tool that will do an injector kill test?

No, how much are they ? I may be interested in getting 1

A true scan tool will start in the $2-3,000 range.

I believe you have a bad injector. If you don't have the capability to do injector kill tests I would recommend starting the engine and loosening the fuel lines at the head one at a time to kill cylinders and see if the smoke lessens and noise stops. I believe the noise you're hearing is excessive combustion noise from mechanical injector failure.

After I had checked Turbo, bad injector was next on my list. Wasn't sure best way to test ? I'll check that after work. If so I'll be happy to confirm you solved my smoke problem

Let me know how it goes!

Will do

Great!

I had to work late. Still planning on checking, if injector related tonight. Probably be after 8, when I get back to the house. I'm hoping I'll be able to tell that injector is causing the smoke problem

If it's an injector then loosening each line one at a time to kill cylinders should substantially cut the smoke and most likely the noise when you find the offending cylinder.

I couldn't get truck started last nite. Going to try again B4 work. Any advice or suggestions?

What happened when you tried to start it?

Last nite trying to start. Similar to a compression release. A Lil warmer today. Still took a bit to start. Once started ,I loosened the fuel line to each injector. (1 at a time ) No help. Eng. Didn't smooth out, smoke didn't change . I'm going to work. Open to trying anything else ?!

Was there a change in the noise when loosening any line?