Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I just bought an 03 intrepid with the 2.7. the oil light…

Customer Question
i just bought an 03...
i just bought an 03 intrepid with the 2.7 . the oil light stayed on and the valvetrain was noisy. but sometimes you will start it and the light goes out and the engine is very quiet. if the light is on sometimes you can rev it up and the light goes out and it quietens down. does that sound light a stopped screen? wouldnt the oil pump do it all of the time? can the oil pan be taken off with the engine in the car?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dodge
2/23/2016
Dodge Mechanic: roy, import/domestic specialest replied 2 years ago
roy
roy, import/domestic specialest

good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist

it could be the pick up screen is clogged. if a pump was bad it would be bad all the time. I would try flushing the oil system first. use some sea foam in the oil and let then engine run for about a half hour. drop the oil and change it and the filter. I would do this a couple time to rid the pan of the debris that may be blocking the pick up. if that does not work, yes, the oil pan should come down for inspection

Roy

no, the oil pan can be dropped in the car

Roy

OIL PAN

REMOVAL

1. Remove dipstick and tube.
  2. Raise vehicle on hoist.
  3. Drain engine oil and remove oil filter.
  4. Disconnect suspension stabilizer bar and reposition for oil pan clearance.

1. Remove structural collar from oil pan to transmission housing (Fig. 90).
  2. Remove lower bolt attaching the A/C compressor to oil pan.
  3. Disconnect engine oil cooler line from pan (if equipped).

CAUTION:Assure removal of the two bolts attaching the timing cover to the oil pan, as damage to the timing cover and/or oil pan may occur.

1. Remove oil pan attaching fasteners. Remove oil pan and gasket (Fig. 91).

INSTALLATION

1. Clean oil pan and sealing surfaces. Inspect oil pan and timing chain cover gaskets. Replace as necessary.
  2. Apply an 1/8 inch bead of Mopar Engine RTV GEN II to the front T-joints (oil pan gasket to timing cover gasket interface) and the rear T-joints (oil pan gasket to crankshaft rear oil seal retainer gasket interface) (Fig. 91).
  3. Install oil pan gasket to block.

NOTE:To prevent oil leaks at oil pan to timing chain cover, the following tightening sequence procedure must be performed.

1. Install oil pan and fasteners (Fig. 91) using the following tightening sequence:
    1. Install oil pan bolts and nuts finger tight only just tight enough to compress the gasket's rubber seal.
    2. Install timing chain cover to pan bolts and tighten to 12 Nm (105 in. lbs.).
    3. Tighten oil pan bolts to 28 Nm (250 in. lbs.).
    4. Tighten oil pan nuts to 12 Nm (105 in. lbs.).
  1. Install lower bolt attaching the A/C compressor to oil pan. Tighten bolt to 28 Nm (21 ft. lbs.).
  2. Connect engine oil cooler line to oil pan (if equipped).

CAUTION:The collar must be tighten using the following procedure, as damage to the collar or oil pan may occur.

1. Install structural collar (Fig. 90) using the following tightening sequence:
    1. Install the vertical collar to oil pan bolts. Torque bolts initially to 1.1 Nm (10 in. lbs.).
    2. Install the horizontal collar to transmission bolts and torque to 55 Nm (40 ft. lbs.).
    3. Starting with the center vertical bolts and working outward, final torque bolts to 55 Nm (40 ft. lbs.).
  1. Install oil filter and drain plug.
  2. Connect suspension stabilizer bar.
  3. Lower vehicle and install oil dipstick and tube.
  4. Fill engine crankcase with proper oil to correct level.

how are you making out

roy
roy
roy, import/domestic specialest