Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Truck cranks over but won't start

Customer Question
Truck cranks over but won't start
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dodge
1998 dodge ram 3500 24v diesel.
I primed the fuel to the fuel filter canister but dont think im getting any fuel to injectors.
Was told there was a fuel shutoff selinoid that had a clip on it that goes bad but dont know where that is.
2/23/2016
Dodge Mechanic: sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech replied 2 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There is no shutdown solenoid on a 24 valve engine.

There are many possible causes for a no start, the most common on this truck would be the injector pump, transfer pump, or being out of fuel due to an inaccurate gauge.

Does the transfer pump run?

Have you checked for fault codes?

Main tank pump works. When i turn the key the heat box (glow plug box) comes on. I turn the key and it just turns the engine with out starting. After i release the key the injector pump is on for a little while then turns off.

The injector pump is driven by the engine. The transfer pump is mounted to the left rear of the engine area and is probably what you're hearing continuing to run. There isn't a pump in the tank unless someone has installed one there.

Have you checked for fault codes?

Havent checked for fault codes. Check engine light is not on. Pump is in the tank.

You've had an aftermarket pump installed or a Mopar conversion kit?

Where does the noise come from after the starter disengages?

Bought it with a pump installed in it. The noise comes from the transfer pump.

What area is the noise coming from?

Back left of the block

You do have the original transfer pump setup then.

Place a drain pan under the fuel filter drain line and open the drain. Bump the starter and allow the pump to run. Do you get a solid, strong stream of fuel for 25 seconds?

Check that when i get home plus scan it to see if i get any fault codes

Great!

P1693 and two for P0234 are the codes that come up.

Did you do the other test I described?

Bummed the key and opened the drain and only drained the canister. I didnt have the fuel pump on thats in the tank.

If you bumped the key to run the transfer pump and it didn't pump for 25 seconds then either the pump has failed or you're out of fuel. Add five gallons or so of fuel and try the same test again.

If i turn the pump from the tank on it will keep pumping fuel.

Do you have a fuel pressure gauge?

No
Im not out of fuel either.

Have you had a helper crank the engine while you opened injector lines to check for a strong spray from each one?
Does the tach move when cranking?

Will try that

Ok.

How much fuel do i expect to come out?

It should be a fairly forceful spray each time the cylinder would fire.

Then no forceful spray.

Does the tach move when cranking?

A scan tool should really be used for an accurate diagnosis but if there is ample fuel to the injector pump, crank signal is present and the engine doesn't start then there is little chance the injector pump has not failed. It would be a good idea to test for power and ground at the pump module before condemning it.

Are you talking about the pump thats on the back left of the block? Or is there a pump module for the injector pump?

The injector pump mounts to the timing gear case cover above the power steering pump. The pump module is part of the pump assembly.

Okay so ive started over from the begining and im getting fuel to the transfer pump. I took off a couple of the injector hoses and im getting a steady squirt into the heads. How do i check to see if the heat box ( glow plug ) is working?

There are no glow plugs.

If you have ample fuel to the injectors and the fuel is good then the engine would run if it was mechanically sound.

Were all cylinders checked for fuel?

You're familiar with the normal amount of spray for this engine?

Not 100% but it looks regular. Is there anything else that would stop the engine from turnning on? Sensors of any kind that would tell the computer not to turn on?

The only thing you need for the engine to run is for it to be mechanically sound and quality fuel delivered to the injectors under enough pressure for them to pop.

Crazyist thing just happened i knew i needed to change the oil so i did that and it started right up. Wierd.

Hopefully the problem doesn't return!

Indeed

Fingers crossed!

Toes arms feet

Good luck with it!

Thanks

You're welcome!