Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

I have a 2004 Durango slt awd5.7 Basically it started

Customer Question
Hi, I have a 2004...
Hi, I have a 2004 Durango slt awd5.7 Basically it started engaging into 4wd on its own. I was driving home one day and made a sharp left into my driveway (I drive up a hill then have to make a sharp left to enter my parking area) and as soon as I make the left turn I feel my Durango slow down. The same feel as when you try to make a turn while in 4wd. I left it parked for a few days. I then reversed it down the road a ways and it disengaged from 4wd. I cycled through 4lo and 4hi with no issues. I drove it to a shop to have them check it out. They called me and said there were no problems they could find. I drove it back home with no problems and it engaged into 4wd again in the same area, this time with the service 4wd light flashing. I plan on buying and installing a new transfer case motor. I've read that this has been an issue. The guy who towed my truck told me he has seen this happen to a lot of these trucks and it's the shift solenoid. I just need to know if I'm moving in the right direction changing the transfer case motor.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dodge
2/21/2016
Dodge Mechanic: Gary, Technician replied 1 year ago
Gary
Gary, Technician

I am sorry for the long wait

yes the shift motors on the transfer case are the # ***** problem that will cause this issue

the key to being 100 % sure is to have the codes read in the 4WD computer if the codes set as there should be if the light came any codes referring to the shift motor then 100 % change the motor and change the fluid in the transfer case should correct this problem you are having which is a very common issue fir these trucks

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate us here at justanswer

Gary
Gary
Gary, Technician