Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My name is ***** ***** I have a 1993 dodge Dakota that I am…

Customer Question
My name is *****...

My name is ***** ***** I have a 1993 dodge Dakota that I am getting power to my igniton coil and my distributer but I am not getting any spark to my plugs

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I have changed the crank sen the distributor and rotor the igniton coil and i still cant get it to start

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dodge
2/15/2016
Dodge Mechanic: Amedee, Dodge Technician replied 2 years ago
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. Is the ignition coil getting a signal to fire while cranking the engine over? What size engine do you have?

Hellooo??

the ignition coil is getting fire i used a test light

That is not what I am asking. I am asking if the ignition coil is getting a GROUND signal trigger?

If it is getting a signal to fire and it has power but it is not producing spark, the ignition coil is bad and will need to be replaced. It is as simple as that.

Unless the coil is sending spark out to the distributor cap but no spark is coming out of the cap, then the cap and rotor are bad and need to be replaced.

Does that make sense?

but I'm not getting spark to distributor i put my test light on coil and turned it over and it would not light up or do i get a spark using a screwdriver on coil

You would use a spark tester to check for spark coming directly out of the ignition coil.

i don't know how to check the ground signal trigger

This is done with a test light. But only you would hook it up backwards. Hook the alligator clip of the test light and hook it to battery positive, and take the tip of the test light and touch it the signal wire of the coil. The test light should blink when cranking over the engine if its getting a signal.

Now you know how. :)

OK so if it's that how would I fix it

If the test passes, then the fix is to replace the ignition coil.

Ok

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "Excellent Service" for assisting you today.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

You should see the rating system towards the bottom of the page.

.

Amedee
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician