Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a '08 Dodge passenger sprinter van. The rear rooftop…

Customer Question
Hi, I have a '08...
Hi, I have a '08 Dodge passenger sprinter van. The rear rooftop AC blows but not cold. The front AC works great. I've checked the fuse under driver seat and both fuses on the rooftop next to each fan. The fuses are all good but outside fans don't run.
I am looking for the next steps to troubleshooting my problem.
Any info would be appreciated.
thanks,
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dodge
2/15/2016
Dodge Mechanic: Robert R, ASE Certified Master replied 2 years ago
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 28+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Can you post the last 9 digits of the VIN? This will help me gather correct service info pertaining to your vehicle..

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

last nine are:###-##-####thanks

Hello Thanks for the VIN.

It appears that this vehicle was not equipped with rear a/c from the factory. Do you know if this was an "Add On" rear a/c system?

If this is the case, the rear a/c will be a totally separate system. This will need to be diagnosed separately from the front a/c. There will be a 2nd a/c compressor in the engine compartment. If your unit has a second a/c compressor you will need to have this system checked out by having someone install a set of a/c gauges to check if the system is low or out of r134 refrigerant. If it is, you will need to check the system for leaks and repair accordingly.

Leaks are the number one cause for a rear a/c not working on a Sprinter. Most of these units are add on systems.

If you have any additional questions, don't hesitate to ask, I'm happy to answer any follow up questions...

Keep me posted and thanks for using JustAnswer...

Thank you,

Robert

I believe this is original equipment. It's a 12 passenger van and it all looks factory, including controls, fusebox, et.
I looked up parts for '08 sprinter and they were calling out different compressors for main and rear AC units.

Usually they do have a 2nd compressor on the passenger vans. This compressor is mounted on the passenger side of the engine lower area. The service ports should be nearby, have someone hook up a set of gauges, if low, leak check and recharge as necessary and all should be fine...

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Even if it needs to be charged shouldn't the fans outside on the roof be running? What switches those on?
Tomorrow I will look for that compressor on the passenger side and see if it is engaging.
thanks,
I scanned for codes with a OBD2 and got:
B150F Refrigerant Compressor Clutch Contori Circuit High.
Do you know what this means in terms of repair?

The condenser fans only need to run if the pressure goes above a certain threshold. The fact that they do not run leads me to believe that the system is low on refrigerant.

After seeing the code, that could be another reason that the fans are not coming on. At this time start checking the compressor clutch for 12 volts and a good ground when the a/c switch is pressed and engine idling. If no power and or ground present, you will need to diagnose the wiring for problems. If you have power and ground present then you will need a new a/c compressor as the clutch has failed..

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

thanks! I will check those today.
Robert,
I pulled a round electrical connector that had a single receptacle - sound right?
I hooked up a meter (+) and touched the meter ground to chassis (a-arm). I had 12-14 volts both with the engine on and off. I even had power with the key removed. Does this makes sense to you?
thanks ron

That may have been the wrong wire. Can you take a pic of it and post it here? If I could see it for myself, I should be able to tell if that is the correct wire...

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

The pictures of new ones on the internet look the same....one round connector.
Robert did you see the picture?

Hi, Sorry for the delay, been away...

Yes, correct that is the right connector. Do you have a regular incandescent test light available? If so, try testing it with the test light and let me know the results. It may be normal to see 12 volts there at all times. We need to see if the actual current changes, using a test light vs. a voltmeter will be able to determine that.

keep me posted and we can go from there...

Thank you,

Robert

Thanks Robert. A friend of mine is bringing me a test light tomorrow.

sounds good, let me know what you come up with and we can go from there...

Thank you,

Robert

Robert, you were right!
With the engine running and rear AC off I get 12.7 V but test light doesn't glow.
When I turn on the rear AC the test lamp glows. So the wiring is good.The outside end of the clutch never spins. Is it pretty certain I need to buy a new compressor?thanks,

That's what I suspected, The module sends voltage with no current as a diagnostic feedback. This is how the modules check for circuit problems...

Since there is power there at the correct times. If the compressor clutch is properly grounded then I would have to suspect a faulty compressor clutch causing the rear a/c compressor to not engage.

Check the ground side and if you like, you can run a temporary positive lead from the battery directly to the compressor to double check that the compressor clutch has failed. If so, you will need to replace the a/c compressor assembly..

Thank you,

Robert

______________________________________

Please keep in mind, If I haven't clearly answered your question and you need additional info, please ask "before" you Rate my Answer.

Remember, RATING is REQUIRED to credit me for helping you! -- Please don't forget to Rate my service as OK Service or better. It's only then that I am credited... A "Poor" or "Bad Service" rating does not automatically result in a refund so if you would rather have a refund, please reply and let me know BEFORE rating and I will submit a refund request with Customer Service on your behalf...

Please remember that this site operates on the honor system... Making sure that your expert is paid for good answers is what allows experts to continue working for you and others...

Robert,
How do I check the ground side? I don't see a ground wire. Do I check the compressor body to see if it has continuity to chassis ground?
thanks,

many times the compressor clutch has a short wire coming out and attached with a small screw to the compressor body, look for the wires going directly into the compressor clutch at the front of the compressor. One wire will lead to the plug you are testing the other wire should be screwed directly to the compressor body somewhere...

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Thanks! I'll check it tomorrow.
ron

Sounds good..

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert