Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

I just replaced my pads and caliper on my Dodge Dakota 2007.

Customer Question

I just replaced my pads and caliper on my Dodge Dakota 2007. The drivers side front brake was sticking. Afetr replacing everything and bleeding the brakes I still have the same problem. It looks like one of the pistons is not retracking back. Any ideas ?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Joe Prestia replied 1 year ago.

Verify that the slides move freely. Check to see if pistons will press back in. If piston won't go back in without excessive effort crack open the bleeder screw. Does it go back now? If so replace the hoses to them. (usually wise to replace as a set at this point) If the still don't press back Replace the caliper and any parts that may have been scorched from the caliper dragging and re-bleed the system. Double check to make sure the calipers retract. If not, re-address the brake hoses.

Do all of this assuming the level in the master cylinder is not over full or full of anything besides DOT-3 or Dot-4 brake fluid, and had not been replaced recently. If they have let me know and we can go from there! Hope this helps!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Joe, The caliper is brand new and the slides do move freely. I will try replacing the hoses, Why would one piston retract back but not the other ?

Was the caliper new or remanufactured? I ask because I've seen stranger things with reman calipers. Possibly not properly lubed when they put it together? Did the caliper come with a new bracket? Do the pads fit easily and move freely within the bracket itself?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Remanufactured from Auto zone. I am going to wait until tomorrow to take them off again. Only 5 degrees here today. Pads seem to move easily but will recheck. The caliper did come with a new bracket.

I hear you there. I'm happy inside and out of the near zero temps here today helping people like yourself instead of busting my knuckles in the cold! Good luck and let me know how it works out!