Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I installed D lights in my 2006 doadge ram 1500 when i turn…

Customer Question
I installed HID lights...

I installed HID lights in my 2006 doadge ram 1500 when i turn lights on with truck running headlights flash 3 times and then go off cant turn them back on they work fine with truck not running

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Not sure what kind of details youre looking for

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dodge
2/14/2016
Dodge Mechanic: -Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech replied 2 years ago
-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech

Good aftermnoon and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 18 years and I will do my best to help.

The problem is most likely your aftermarket HID lights if you didn't have the issue before and the reason is that the TIPM which is the fusebox under the hood is a module which supplies 12v to the lights and when it detects a short or open it will turn off that circuit to protect itself.. Your HID lights are either showing a open or short to the TIPM which is why they will not work until you cycle the key. Your best bet will be to install your factory lights or contact the HID light manufacturer and inform them your headlight issue and they may tell you to install resistors to add a load so the TIPM doesn't see a short..

If you need anymore assistance feel free to reply and don't forget the RATING before leaving the site!!

Have a great day,

Brad

They work fine with the key in the off position. Is only when key is in on position that the low beams flash three times and go off. High beams and dtrl work fine. Can the TIPM be reset to allow for different draw?

No the TIPM can't be adjusted.. I would contact the supplier for a refund or a resistor..

Have a great day,

Brad

I see you haven't rated yet which means I have not been credited for helping. Don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my assistance..

Thank you and have a great day,

Brad