Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

The problem i'm having is some of the lights in my 2007

Customer Question
My name is Maurie...

My name is Maurie the problem i'm having is some of the lights in my 2007 dodge caravan flicker I opened the hood and found that the ground strap from the front of the engine to the body had got hot and was loose then I found that the asd relay was clicking that is where I'm at

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Nothing other than I was driving down the road the abs, brake light, the radio light flicker on and off the van was running just fine and still is as far as I know I unpluged the relay to stop the clicking

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dodge
2/13/2016
Dodge Mechanic: Joe Prestia,
 replied 2 years ago
Joe Prestia

Is the relay continuing to click after taking care of the loose ground? Or does that still need to be addressed?

I also found that one of the small wires coming off of the positive post on the battery is burnt to
Dodge Mechanic: Joe Prestia,
 replied 2 years ago

Start by removing any evidence of arcing and then re-tighten the loose ground.It isn't very uncommon for the smaller yellow wire to have some discoloration to it.

where do the two small wires that come off the battery go to I don't know if the wire that burnt by the battery is the cause of the problem I pluged the relay back in no clicking it burnt the small wire all the way off
Dodge Mechanic: Joe Prestia,
 replied 2 years ago

Without seeing what you're working with I can't say for sure but here is a power distribution circuit that might show you what you're looking at.

Dodge Mechanic: Joe Prestia,
 replied 2 years ago

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/Wd/DownloadPdf?id=139949

I have done some investigating the wire that I said was on positive post was on the ground side also I get a humming sound on the top of the engine when then the asd is making the clicking sound also I have 7 volts showing between the engine and the ground strap
Dodge Mechanic: Joe Prestia,
 replied 2 years ago

Measure the voltage between the engine and the negative battery terminal, the engine and both ends of ground strap and report back. It sounds like you have a bad engine ground.

I have check between engine and the negative post there is also 7 volts between the small wire that burnt of at the battery coming out of the wiring harness
do you know where the 2 small wire that come out of the wiring harness go to on the ground side
Dodge Mechanic: Joe Prestia,
 replied 2 years ago

Add one side of a pair of jumper cables between a good engine ground and the negative battery terminal. Do problems stop or continue? If they persist there is a short to power somewhere on that circuit if I'm understanding you correctly. If the problems stop then you have a bad engine ground. Simply make a new one! :)

Dodge Mechanic: Joe Prestia,
 replied 2 years ago

Were you able to make any progress on this one?