Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I drove to town last week and parked while I ra an errand. I…

Customer Question
I drove to town...

I drove to town last week and parked while I ra an errand. I come out to restart the car and it won't start (sounds like hell too) and check engine light came on. So I had it towed home. I ran the code and it came up P1521 which was "Incorrect Engine Oil" so I check my receipts from franchised oil and lube shop and sure enough for years they have never put in the correct oil despite the Dodge manual stating you must use 5w-20 they only have used 10w-30 and 5w-30 for every oil change and for years now as this is a 2006 Charger 5.7L. So I call them up they ask me to brig it in. They mess with it then get nowhere and have me take it to their other shop where they now say it dropped two valve seats. They say using incorrect oil has never done anything to the vehicle and they have no fault, it is all just a Dodge issue and that using incorrect oil is essentially fine. They said they recommend I replace the whole engine now. I feel I have legal recourse of some kind as I feel using the wrong oil would have a) effected the MDS at the very least and killed fuel mileage over the life of the car, and b) as the car only kicked an incorrect engine oil code when it died the oil to me must tie into the valves somehow and I wonder what differing oil does for temperature and pressures and whether those effect valve seat malfunction as well. I find it hard to believe there would be no reason to use the clearly stated required (in manual, tech spec, and oil cap itself) oil and that no ill effects could be done from years of these improper professional scheduled maintenance services. Need an opinion of an expert as I don't trust oil techs looking to cover their butt. (Although one tech who is not the boss did tell me immediately they knew right away the issue because they know Hemi needs 5w-20 and they have known people with major engine damage from using wrong oil! Anyhow just need an expert opinion from someone independent of the situation I guess.

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I think that is about it. Is there my detail I left out?

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dodge
2/13/2016
Dodge Mechanic: cloe0626, Auto Mechanic replied 2 years ago
cloe0626
cloe0626, Auto Mechanic

hello my name is ***** ***** will be helping you today using the improper oil will damage your engine over time it can cause the valves to loose their seating as well as reduce your gas mileage and engine performance it can also cause you not to build up0 enough oil pressure witch can damage the valves

you would say that incorrect engine oil used for well over 60,000 miles could cause damage causing the dropped valve seats? And in addition likely effected gas mileage over that period?
Or can you elaborate a bit more? I am likely going to have to argue this with the oil change business so I would like to be able to explain how it could have damaged my engine, performance, AND caused this dropped valve seat.

the oil they was using was to thin of an oil and they know that the motor is not designed to use the one type of oil so using the wrong oil the oil is what lubricates the valves as they move if you do not use the correct oil then then its not lubricating correctly witch will cause the dropped valve seats

cloe0626
cloe0626
cloe0626, Auto Mechanic