Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

My name is ***** *****. I have a 2004 dodge quad cab 4x4 and

Customer Question
I have noise from front...
my name is ***** *****. I have a 2004 dodge quad cab 4x4 and I have noise from front right side sounds to me like gears trying to mesh comes and go but getting worse can feel vibration in wheel from it also
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: has only been doing it at low speeds 10 to 20 mph but yesterday and this morning doing it all time its awd and it just acts like gears tryn to mesh at low speeds its a loud clicking noise and obviously the faster u go the faster the click
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dodge Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dodge
2/13/2016
Dodge Mechanic: sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech replied 1 year ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

I'm quite sure what you're hearing is stripped splines. There is a stub shaft on each side of the front differential which splines to the inner CV joint. What happens is these splines will wear until they wear down enough to slip against each other, and then it causs the grinding noise I believe you're describing.

With the emergency brake set and/or wheels chocked, slide under the front of the truck and take a look where the CV shafts connect to the differential. You should find that at least on the right side you see rust dust slinging out of the splines, and you'll probably find the inner CV joint has quite a bit of play by hand. If you see rust dust slinging out from the connection that's a sure sign of spline damage. The stub shaft and CV shaft would need to be replaced together to repair it.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08