Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I'm trying to locate the trailer relay on my 08' 3500 dodge.

Customer Question
I'm trying to locate...

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

My trailer plug is dead, both plugs due to a short in wiring I believe.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dodge
2/13/2016
Dodge Mechanic: Robert R, ASE Certified Master replied 2 years ago
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 28+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

There is no relay for the trailer lamp circuits. These circuits are controlled directly by the TIPM (totally integrated power module). IF the TIPM detects a short in the wiring it disables the circuit to avoid damage. To get the trailer plug working again, you must scan the TIPM and clear all codes to re enable the affected circuit. IF the trailer wiring is shorted, it may cause this issue again so be sure to have the trailer wiring checked out to be sure that there are no shorts there..

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

How is the TIPM code cleared in lawman terms? Can I disconnect batteries to clear or reset?

The TIPM codes MUST be cleared by using a capable scanner that can communicate with the TIPM and clear codes. A regular "Generic" obdII scanner does NOT have the capability to do this. You would need either the factory scanner (witech) or a High End Snap on Scanner or equivalent.

Thank you,

Robert

______________________________________

Please keep in mind, If I haven't clearly answered your question and you need additional info, please ask "before" you Rate my Answer.

Remember, RATING is REQUIRED to credit me for helping you! -- Please don't forget to Rate my service as OK Service or better. It's only then that I am credited... A "Poor" or "Bad Service" rating does not automatically result in a refund so if you would rather have a refund, please reply and let me know BEFORE rating and I will submit a refund request with Customer Service on your behalf...

Please remember that this site operates on the honor system... Making sure that your expert is paid for good answers is what allows experts to continue working for you and others...