Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

2007 dodge ram 3500, 4 wheel drive was driving on the

Customer Question
2007 dodge ram 3500,*****was driving...
2007 dodge ram 3500,*****was driving on the freeway at 65 mph, the truck started bucking like a bronco! loud metal scraping sound, coasted to the side, looked underneath saw the back of the transmission broken where the drive shaft, use to be connected, in pieces, drive shaft dragging the ground, wires hanging, support bracket gone. Disconnected the other end of the drive shaft and called a wrecker.
Can anyone tell me what happened?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dodge
2/13/2016
Dodge Mechanic: cloe0626, Auto Mechanic replied 1 year ago
cloe0626
cloe0626, Auto Mechanic

was the ujoints intact

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was not the actual person driving the truck at the time, I'm asking this person about the U-joints. I looked at the truck after the wrecker dropped it off. I tried to describe in my question what I was told happened and also what I saw when I looked underneath the truck. It looked like the very end of the transmission had broken piece at the very end and the support beam/bar directly underneath was either broken off or hanging. I also don't know what else was supposed to be connected between the transmission and the drive shaft, but, there was a bunch of wires hanging/torn apart as well. I'm not a mechanic so I'm not sure what all was supposed to be there, like, was there any*****stuff connected or is that somewhere else? The only thing I know about cars that I have been under, is, the drive shaft connects to the back of the transmission via the u -joints, which turns the drive shaft, which turns the rear wheels. But, im not sure if that 3500 dodge ram*****truck has any extra stuff connected between the transmission and the drive shaft like a regular car does. Again, I'm not a mechanic. It just seems, something, apparently locked up and caused the drive shaft to break away from the transmission and tear everything around it up while the truck was bucking like a bronco.

the drive shaft connects to the transmission with a ujoint if that you joint broke it would cause the drive shaft to fall and break the transmission bracket if you need anything else please let me know and be sure to rate my service when you get the chance

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what you are saying, It sounds like the u- joints broke? What causes the u-joints to break? Have you heard of this before? Could the u-joints breaking maybe caused by carrying a lot of weight in the bed of the truck? Example: A large welding machine, tanks, and equipment?
What is the chance of anything in the transmission being salvageable to keep repair cost at a minimum? or because of the broken tail section, it will need another transmission completely?
I understand all answers you provide will be all speculation based on the information I'm providing. But I would appreciate more detailed responses to my questions within my replies.
It was my hope to learn more about what may have happened and what I may be facing to repair the truck than what my own speculation already told me before I submitted the original question.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The u-joints were not intact.
Dodge Mechanic: Joe Prestia,
 replied 1 year ago
Joe Prestia

It is sort of to be expected that the u-joints would no longer be in tact after hitting the road at those speeds (when you're travelling at 65 mph the driveshaft is spinning a LOT faster than that). That being said at those speeds a driveshaft on the loose is kind of like a missile and can really tear stuff up. Given you description of the damage I would have to speculate that either the rear u-joint suddenly siezed more was loose enough in the caps to have come apart on it's own. It's also possible that something in the rear differential locked up snapping that u-joint like a toothpick. As far as the tailshaft and tailshaft housing on the transfer case go (this is the part behind the transmission that transmits power to the front and read driveshafts), it's hard to say. You might get away with just replacing the housing but don't be too suprised if there is further damage inside! Hope this helps!

Joe Prestia
Joe Prestia
Joe Prestia