Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have smoke at idle on my 2005 5.9 ISB. Idles smooth, no…

Customer Question
I have white smoke...

I have white smoke at idle on my 2005 5.9 ISB. Idles smooth, no increase or decrease of any fluids. Why?

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Dodge. The Dodge Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.

Smoke is only when at idle, and is white.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

That would be my goal, if it isn't internal.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Dodge Mechanic should know about your Dodge?

No, it only has 65K, has been maintained per manufacture recommendations.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dodge
2/12/2016
Dodge Mechanic: cloe0626, Auto Mechanic replied 2 years ago
cloe0626
cloe0626, Auto Mechanic

are you getting a check engine light

No, it runs fine. this engine is in a 2005 38' Freightliner XC motor home chassis.

so its just the white smoke on idle how much is it smoking

We have had it for a little over a year and put 10K on it with no issue other than the smoke. no change in any fluids over the past year.I would call the smoke a white fog. Unfortunately I am new to diesels, so I don't have much to go on as to the amount, if it is excessive or not.

okay but you dont have any loss of power or rough idle

No. smooth idle, no power issues. That is why I find myself here. I have looked at several forums but can't seem to find anything that fits my issue. I am mechanically inclined and have worked on multiple gas engines, but can't figure this one out.

it is an unusual problem can you smell diesel from thre exhaust

sorry for all the questions just trying to eliminate problems

I thought maybe the crank case ventelation filter being clogged causing increased internal pressure, but not sure.
Yes, I think I am smelling diesel. Again, being new to this type of motor I am not sure what I should smell.

the smoke is from getting to much air into your fuel system its just matter of whats causing it especially since you have no loss of power or a rough idle if it was the injectors it would have both a blown head casket you would notice a difference in fluid levels do you have a scanner that can read live data

it could be the injector timing

I don't have a scanner.
would this be something like I have seen a several truck stops, that hooks to the diagnostic port and give a readout of the motor conditions?

yeah you can go to any truck stop

just need the info on the injectors

if you could could get it scanned and send me a picture of the read out it would be very helpful in figuring out the problem

would a scanner also be available at an auto parts store as a loner tool? I thought about using one of the scanners at a Loves, but was worried if the cable would be long enough to reach my port, and to be honest I'm not exactly sure where the port is.

yes a parts store will come out and scan it for you

I will find a place and get it scanned tomorrow, then send you a picture of the information.

okay look foward to hearing from you

I could not find a place yesterday to have a diagnostic ran. It looks like where I like I will have to schedule it with a diesel mechanic. I will let you know what the results are when I get them.

ok just let me know