cloe0626
cloe0626, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  was a mechanic in the army for four years and have been working at a dealer ship the past five years
74954164

I have smoke at idle on my 2005 5.9 ISB. Idles smooth, no

Customer Question

I have white smoke at idle on my 2005 5.9 ISB. Idles smooth, no increase or decrease of any fluids. Why?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Dodge. The Dodge Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: smoke is only when at idle, and is white.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: that would be my goal, if it isn't internal.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Dodge Mechanic should know about your Dodge?
Customer: no, it only has 65K, has been maintained per manufacture recommendations.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Dodge Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 1 year ago.

are you getting a check engine light

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, it runs fine. this engine is in a 2005 38' Freightliner XC motor home chassis.
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 1 year ago.

so its just the white smoke on idle how much is it smoking

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have had it for a little over a year and put 10K on it with no issue other than the smoke. no change in any fluids over the past year.I would call the smoke a white fog. Unfortunately I am new to diesels, so I don't have much to go on as to the amount, if it is excessive or not.
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 1 year ago.

okay but you dont have any loss of power or rough idle

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. smooth idle, no power issues. That is why I find myself here. I have looked at several forums but can't seem to find anything that fits my issue. I am mechanically inclined and have worked on multiple gas engines, but can't figure this one out.
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 1 year ago.

it is an unusual problem can you smell diesel from thre exhaust

Expert:  cloe0626 replied 1 year ago.

sorry for all the questions just trying to eliminate problems

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought maybe the crank case ventelation filter being clogged causing increased internal pressure, but not sure.
Yes, I think I am smelling diesel. Again, being new to this type of motor I am not sure what I should smell.
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 1 year ago.

the smoke is from getting to much air into your fuel system its just matter of whats causing it especially since you have no loss of power or a rough idle if it was the injectors it would have both a blown head casket you would notice a difference in fluid levels do you have a scanner that can read live data

Expert:  cloe0626 replied 1 year ago.

it could be the injector timing

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have a scanner.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
would this be something like I have seen a several truck stops, that hooks to the diagnostic port and give a readout of the motor conditions?
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 1 year ago.

yeah you can go to any truck stop

Expert:  cloe0626 replied 1 year ago.

just need the info on the injectors

Expert:  cloe0626 replied 1 year ago.

if you could could get it scanned and send me a picture of the read out it would be very helpful in figuring out the problem

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
would a scanner also be available at an auto parts store as a loner tool? I thought about using one of the scanners at a Loves, but was worried if the cable would be long enough to reach my port, and to be honest I'm not exactly sure where the port is.
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 1 year ago.

yes a parts store will come out and scan it for you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will find a place and get it scanned tomorrow, then send you a picture of the information.
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 1 year ago.

okay look foward to hearing from you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I could not find a place yesterday to have a diagnostic ran. It looks like where I like I will have to schedule it with a diesel mechanic. I will let you know what the results are when I get them.
Expert:  cloe0626 replied 1 year ago.

ok just let me know