Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

I have a 04 Ram 1500. I shut it off. Then went to start it

Customer Question
again. It would not start...
I have a 04 Ram 1500. I shut it off. Then went to start it again. It would not start. I then did some research. I ended up changing the throttle body and fuel pump. It still would not run. I left it alone for a few days and it started and ran for a few months now. Now here I am again with it not running. It seems that the fuel pump is not turning on. what can cause this?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dodge
2/12/2016
Dodge Mechanic: Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a independent contractor for just answer, and ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.There will probably be some equipment needed for a proper diagnosis. If you are not comfortable with this or do not have any test equipment please let me know ASAP. I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating. I am not compensated for my time until you leave a positive rating. Your rating should be based on the service you received.

Do you have a fuel pressure gauge?

Where did you get pump?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did rent a fuel pressure gauge. I had 0 fuel pressure that is why I changed the fuel pump. I ordered it from o riellys
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
this last time it stopped working. I was driving.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
you still here?

What is the fuel pressure now?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
0 the fuel pump is not turning on or not getting power. This is the problem. what would cause it to shut off?

What engine size?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
there has to be something in the electrical. but where is what I cant figure out. I have been told this is a common problem with some dodges. but being common no one has any answers. I have the 5.7 hemi magnum

Check fuse 17 for power

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok I will do that. Give me a little bit to get back to you.

Please check it with a test light

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
check both fuel pump fuse and relay. both have power.

The relay should have 2 powers and a ground

The bottom of relay has numbers on it. Try crossing 30 and 87 with a fused jumper wire and see if the pump runs.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok both powers are there. I jumped 30&87 and still nothing.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
my truck is a little was away from where im at so this is why it may take a bit to do the things you are suggesting.

If you have power at the relay and you have jumped the relay and no pressure it is either a bad ground, broken wire or a bad pump. Can you check for power and ground at fuel pump connector when the relay is jumped?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok I will try that. This will take me a little while. I'll have to drop the gas tank down.

OK. Let me know results

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well I have run out of time that I am able to deal with this myself. while I had came to the same conclusion before talking with you. Your advice was spot on and gave me a few more things to check. I will give you a good report. You should get paid for the help you gave me. Thank you.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am having trouble. it is not letting me give you a rating. I keep trying till it works.
Jerry, Master Mechanic