Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 04 Ram 1500. I shut it off. Then went to start it…

Customer Question
I have a 04 Ram...
I have a 04 Ram 1500. I shut it off. Then went to start it again. It would not start. I then did some research. I ended up changing the throttle body and fuel pump. It still would not run. I left it alone for a few days and it started and ran for a few months now. Now here I am again with it not running. It seems that the fuel pump is not turning on. what can cause this?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dodge
2/12/2016
Dodge Mechanic: Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a independent contractor for just answer, and ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.There will probably be some equipment needed for a proper diagnosis. If you are not comfortable with this or do not have any test equipment please let me know ASAP. I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating. I am not compensated for my time until you leave a positive rating. Your rating should be based on the service you received.

Do you have a fuel pressure gauge?

Where did you get pump?

I did rent a fuel pressure gauge. I had 0 fuel pressure that is why I changed the fuel pump. I ordered it from o riellys
this last time it stopped working. I was driving.
you still here?

What is the fuel pressure now?

0 the fuel pump is not turning on or not getting power. This is the problem. what would cause it to shut off?

What engine size?

there has to be something in the electrical. but where is what I cant figure out. I have been told this is a common problem with some dodges. but being common no one has any answers. I have the 5.7 hemi magnum

Check fuse 17 for power

ok I will do that. Give me a little bit to get back to you.

Please check it with a test light

check both fuel pump fuse and relay. both have power.

The relay should have 2 powers and a ground

The bottom of relay has numbers on it. Try crossing 30 and 87 with a fused jumper wire and see if the pump runs.

ok both powers are there. I jumped 30&87 and still nothing.
my truck is a little was away from where im at so this is why it may take a bit to do the things you are suggesting.

If you have power at the relay and you have jumped the relay and no pressure it is either a bad ground, broken wire or a bad pump. Can you check for power and ground at fuel pump connector when the relay is jumped?

ok I will try that. This will take me a little while. I'll have to drop the gas tank down.

OK. Let me know results

Well I have run out of time that I am able to deal with this myself. while I had came to the same conclusion before talking with you. Your advice was spot on and gave me a few more things to check. I will give you a good report. You should get paid for the help you gave me. Thank you.
I am having trouble. it is not letting me give you a rating. I keep trying till it works.