Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Its a jeep
, its a 2008 jeep grand cherokee. Sometimes…

Customer Question
Its a 2008 jeep...

Its a 2008 jeep grand cherokee. Sometimes when i start it it won't. The ETC light comes on along with a malfunction indicator light. Jeep is aware of this problem and fixes range from replacing the ETS, to a pedal sensor and harness wiring. There is a ton of info on the web but all of the general public says they have spent over $2000 dollars let the deal have the jeep for 2 weeks and they still have the same problem. You all are aware of the problem but nobody seems how to fix it. If a leaves this web page and lose contact with you how can we reconnect? thank you for your help

Mechanic's Assistant: It's good that it's giving you information about the problem. The Dodge Mechanic will know what to do. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

Of course not the dealerships can't even fix the problem when you look at the blogs

Mechanic's Assistant: OK! The Dodge Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else important you think the Dodge Mechanic should know about your Dodge?

It happens usually twicee a day. When you let it sit for 10 to 20 minutes it finally starts. how do we get back in contact. is there a reference number, email address, phone number, cause I'm going to lose contact with you and this time will be wasted

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dodge
2/12/2016
Dodge Mechanic: Jared D, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician

So you are having throttle control problems?

Which engine do you have in your jeep?

Any idea what codes it is setting?

6 cylinder , red throttle dash board light saying ETC. You let it sit for an hour and then it will restarts. Can you access Wrangler Forum .com ? Under the topic electric throttle control problem solved answers range from replacing throttle body unit, pedal sensor, coolant temp sensor, apparently Chrysler engineering is aware of the problem and are testing every system in the Jeep. The forum talks about dealers who have replaced the throttle and the pedal sensor but no luck. I hate to give what these guys are saying 1 to 2 thousand dollars and not having the problem fixed. These are dealers not mechanic shops.

It's a very common problem, but the system at fault should be easily identified by the trouble code that is set.

For example, if the code is a p2138 then the problem is most likely the pedal position sensor.

If the code is a p2100 or p0123 then it's a throttle body problem.

Any time we see dealers that "can't figure something out" it means that they are taking a number of customers for a ride and just throwing parts at it because they can get away with it.

Do you think you could get the codes scanned to see which system is setting the error message?

How do I get the codes thxs
The codes will only show when I'm having the problem right

The codes will most likely only read when the check engine light is on. Pretty much all parts stores will scan codes for you for free nowdays.

When the problem is happening, will the engine crank but not start, or will it not crank at all?

That's part of the problem when it cranks but won't start how do I get the codes

It should be stored, but if it's not setting a hard code you might have to order one of those $20 bluetooth scan tools that works with your smart phone from amazon. I keep one in each of my personal vehicles just in case a code pops on.

If you have a multi-meter you could fairly easily check the signal from the pedal position sensor. You could also try slapping the gas pedal up and down a few times and then see if it will start when it is acting up. If it starts after doing this then you know you have a bad spot in the pedal position sensor.

Ok so what do I do now
How late in the day do you answer email. I'm in denver

If you have a multi-meter check the voltages at the Accelerator Pedal Position (APP) Sensor with the key in the run position, Pink/Yellow and Yellow/Pink wires are the 5 volt power supplies. The sensor ground wires are the Brown/Violet and Brown/Yellow and should have less than 50 mV present. The signal wires are White/Brown and Brown/White, one runs about half the voltage of the other one, expect to see 0.2 to 2.5 on signal line #2 and 0.5 to 4.0 on signal line #1.

I'm in Albuquerque. I'm leaving the shop in a few minutes, but I'll check back in this evening to see if you need any additional info.

Good Morning Jared are you back to work?

Sorry. I was out of pocket all weekend. My wife's car is acting up and I spent all weekend taking it apart and putting it back together.

Were you able to perform any of the electrical tests on the APP?