tims auto repair
tims auto repair, mechanic
Experience:  owned repair shop for 25yrs
14541291

We just bought this 1990 Dodge Ram Van B250 and it's been

Customer Question

We just bought this 1990 Dodge Ram Van B250 and it’s been DMV registered as non op since 2007. We didn’t know if the odometer was working when we bought it. But when we went to drive it home and we started the van the speedometer needle went all the way to 100mph and then it went back to normal. We didn’t noticed that the odometer wasn’t working at that time but a day later that’s when we noticed that the odometer wasn’t working. At the time we didn’t know if it was electric driven or mechanical drive. and Justanswer expert said it is mostly likely the gears in the head are stripped. Can anyone tell us why the speedometer needle jump to 100mph and is that a problem? And/or does it have anything to do with the odometer not working? Thank you.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  tims auto repair replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you

sense the ometer doesnt work at all..you need to first check to make sure the cable isnt broken,if the cable and the gear on the speed sensor is good,then i would think the problem is the cluster[gauges] itself and will need to be replaced

1. Remove harness connector from sensor. Be sure weather seal stays on harness connector. 2. Remove sensor by loosening sensor coupling nut from the pinion gear adapter until sensor is free. 3. To install the sensor, reverse the removal procedures. Tighten coupling nut to 17 N^m (150 in. lbs.).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tim,
Thank you for answering. Sorry I’m late in sending this to you, I thought I sent it and was waiting for an answer form you.
We 've found out that this is a electronic speedometer.
Our originally question is: One time when we started the van the speedometer needle jumped up to 100mph would you know why the speedometer needle jump to 100mph and is that a problem? Thanks.

hi

yes,,the vss[vehicle speed sensor] can cause this

thanks

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feedback ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.